1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I HATE it when the clocks go back.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by zizzyballoon, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

The door was open Zizzy
    Actually it was laid on the floor so I've propped up again :D

zizzyballoon likes this.
  2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

@kibosh is stirring things.

3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Are you a parrot?

4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Sky says 1:00 am, 1:30am, 1:00 am on its schedule (it's 1:18 am, the first one here)......

ilovesooty likes this.
  5. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Lead commenter

I hate it too.

I joined that "Lighter Later" organization, and petitioned my MP etc, but nothing has changed. Quelle surprise.

The problem is that the motion to change the current system is part of a Private Member's Bill, and in our insane wonderful "democracy" (or whatever you want to call it), certain odious members of parliament can deliberately sabotage anything they like by waffling on and using up the allocated time. If I remember correctly, Rees-Mogg likes doing this. "Will of the people" and all that... yeah, right.

Mangleworzle, T34 and sabrinakat like this.
  6. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

7. T34

T34 Established commenter

Which 1 a.m.?

8. T34

Keep them on GMT?
    Why not.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that the change is simply to have the clocks telling the wrong time (an hour forward) during the Spring and Summer. The Autumn ritual of "putting the clocks back" is just returning to normality. and honesty.

So the question is why have the clocks telling the wrong time in the Spring and Summer? What good does it do?

9. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Senior commenter

The 1am that the clocks go back to at 2am.

10. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

It didn't even seem any lighter at 7am.

11. Grandsire

Grandsire Occasional commenter

I hit a pheasant which ran out in front of me when I was doing about 65mph (nice bit of straight road, no one ride around) and a cloud of feathers blew up over the car.
    I looked in the rear view mirror as I went on my way: no body on the road, and I knew the damn thing had got its foot caught in the radiator grill. There was no way it had survived the impact, so I carried on with my journey, surprised at the number of people flashing their lights and trying to flag me down: "Ma'am," said one guy when I stopped at a junction, "did you know you you had a pheasant stuck to the front of your car?" "Yes, yes I know!!" I wailed.
    My mum's neighbour greeted me on the drive - "Ooh, lovely - do you want me to dress it and give it you back for your supper?" she asked. I've never felt less hungry.

12. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Unfortunately no one told Jesmond dog that the clocks went back this morning. So he had a six o’clock walk instead of his normal 7am one.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

14. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

I think I am
    Not as far as I know. Maybe a kookaburra.

15. T34

I see, so the clocks went back at 1am - and at 2am.

16. zizzyballoon

Thank you@lindenlea. I hope so too. There's already enough blue in the sky to make a sailor a pair of trousers. ;)

lindenlea likes this.
  17. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Lighter evenings.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  18. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

As IF!! :rolleyes:

;)

I was simply enjoying the humourous repartee.:)

Didacty likes it when people notice when he's larking around, even though he has said in the past that he doesn't want any 'likes'. He likes 'likes'.

racroesus likes this.
  19. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Was that you sitting in the old gum tree?

20. zizzyballoon

But do we need it light till 10pm or later in the summer? I'd rather it were lighter later in the winter. ( Perhaps we could make up a rhyme about it along the lines of Betty bought a bit of butter)