1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I HATE it when the clocks go back.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by zizzyballoon, Oct 28, 2017.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Like Groundhog Day

2. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

It's really funny if you do the full witch costume. Their faces when you answer the door. LOL

kibosh likes this.
  3. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

4. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

It is dark enough.

5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I have pet Pheasants and i love them. Seriously. They're great.

But this has also happened to me once. Only once.
    It was horribly crunchy. Seeing as, luck would have it, I was driving down a country road with my recently run over pet cat in the boot of the car, and on my way to a suitable spot to bury said cat (who i loved) to say this was a rather bad day would be an understatement. I cried. A lot.

frangipani123 and Mangleworzle like this.
  6. annie2010

annie2010 Occasional commenter

Don't like it either; it gets dark so early and, as the mornings become gradually darker also, I feel that I hardly see daylight during the week!

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It must be like that all the time if you're a Mole

kibosh likes this.
  8. zizzyballoon

The thing is that I'm not a mole and I could literally weep with frustration at the thought it's going to be dark by 5pm tomorrow. And when I say literally I mean literally.:(

InkyP and kibosh like this.
  9. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

I have a radio controlled clock with hands which sets itself, and I have tried to stay up to see it happen. But never succeeded! I always give up and go to bed or nod off and find it has happened. All I can say is it doesn't do it at midnight or 1:00 am, so when does it do it !?

Flowersinspring and kibosh like this.
  10. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

How to remember which way the clocks go -- Spring forward, Fall back!

kibosh likes this.
  11. zizzyballoon

It's like waiting for Father Christmas. It never happens while you're watching.

TCSC47 and kibosh like this.
  12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

You need to get yourself a dog like mine, zizzy.

It will alert you to each occasion a cat or a rat or a brat farts on this side of the ocean. I can't believe you find it possible you'd be able to remain asleep if Father Christmas tried to get down your chimney with this dog in your house.

You can borrow him if you like.

13. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

2 am apparently. No idea why.

TCSC47 likes this.
  14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

British summer time and the return to Greenwich Mean Time (UTC) begin at 1 a.m., this is when the times signalled by the MSF radio service and the Truetime telephone time service are altered. In fact, because the information is sent in advance, the MSF signal has already changed during the previous minute, and the Truetime signal changes during the previous second.

However, only mains-powered radio-controlled clocks are likely to be continuously checking the MSF signal. Battery-powered radio-controlled clocks typically check the time only every hour, or every two hours, and radio-controlled watches only perhaps three times a day. This is to conserve the battery, as the reception unit takes more power than the clock/watch mechanism. So some radio-controlled clocks or watches may not 'realise' that the time has changed until several hours later.

TCSC47 likes this.
  15. Duke of York

We all take notice of this oppression in having to change our clocks, but is it actually legal to enforce us to change our working hours in this way? Has it ever been tested in a court of law?

16. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It's officially supposed to happen at 2 a.m.

TCSC47 likes this.
  17. zizzyballoon

Thanks for the offer but I'll pass because I'm not a doggy person..

18. Duke of York

You's never get murdered on you sleep with him him around,

You's never get any sleep mind.

19. brooksy123

brooksy123 New commenter

Can’t wait for my car clock to be correct again tomorrow!

TCSC47, InkyP and lardylady like this.
  20. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Not as far as I know or can tell.
    Over the decades many attempts have been made by various bodies to change the system using Parliament to change the relevant law but none as yet has succeeded.
    Getting a court to even consider ruling on this would be an interesting but ( I think) difficult exercise and I cannot think on waht grounds the law could actually be challenged.
    If you have deep pockets I am sure that an attempt could be made though...

As far as I recall, most of Europe now change their time systems on the same day as an EU directive was issued in order to standardise this

21. curl88

curl88 New commenter

Am I the only one who feels as if the mornings are plunged deeper into darkness rather than actually being lighter?! o_O The psychological turmoil!

sabrinakat likes this.