1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I HATE it when the clocks go back.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by zizzyballoon, Oct 28, 2017.

1. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

It will be dark so early in the afternoon. All that wintry gloom. Nasty nasty nasty.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I hate driving back in the darkness and with the late finishes at my school on Mondays and Thursdays next half term that will make it worse.

But what can you do - unlike Hedgehogs we don't have the option of hibernation.

vannie and kibosh like this.
  3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Well yes, but the mornings will be lighter - it was really gloomy at 7.30 this am. At least we get a nice long day tomorrow.

kibosh likes this.
  4. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Do I need to go into the usual responses?
    Or should I simply use keywords?
    Annual, accustomed, bovvered

colpee, kibosh and catmother like this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

My problem is that I'm on the road to school at 6 am so it will be dark both ways for the next few months.

kibosh likes this.
  6. zizzyballoon

You are really Pollyanna, @lindenlea, and I claim my £5

7. zizzyballoon

There is no obligation to reply, if you don't want to. Frankly, even though it is an annual happening, I never become accustomed to it and it does bovver me.:rolleyes:

ScotSEN and foxtail3 like this.
  8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

[​IMG]Who - me?

zizzyballoon likes this.
  9. Didactylos4

I always want to reply if I can. For two reasons
    1. it shows I have read the thread and an willing to communicate on the subject
    2. It moves the thread up the list and encourages other contributions

I kept it short and non-controversial :(

kibosh, bonxie, InkyP and 1 other person like this.
  10. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

I'm OK with it after a few days but the morning it goes back means my kids get up at 4.45am instead of 5.45am. Psychologically this matters more than the 'extra' hour. Urgh.

The only other thing I don't like is the flipping pheasants and grouse and things that launch themselves at my car in the dark early mornings. Makes me shriek and then cry when the car goes 'bump' and you hear the vague squawking behind you. You think they'd see the headlights and stay put for a few minutes but nooooo...they see me coming and fling themselves at me like bird-shaped lemmings (I do know that lemmings don't jump off cliffs, by the way, but I'm too tired to think of another analogy).

kibosh likes this.
  11. zizzyballoon

I found your reply somewhat dismissive;)

12. Didactylos4

Had I wished to be dismissive I would simply have posted
    Meh!
    :rolleyes:

However I will not darken the doors of this thread again
    *goes off in a huff slamming the door behind him*

kibosh likes this.
  13. zizzyballoon

That was quite unnecessary. Now you've taken it off its hinges. Huh. Sulky puss.

sabrinakat, kibosh and Jesmond12 like this.
  14. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

I love this time of year. All those cosy evenings to look forward to!

Norsemaid and catmother like this.
  15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Of all birds, Pheasants (particularly males) have the elegance and balance of a house brick in flight. Added to the fact they fly about three feet from the ground and are more stupid than most insects they are a real hazard.

We were travelling across the Yorkshire Wolds last year when a male Pheasant launched itself at the car and hit the windscreen with a real thump. There were no other cars around (so why did it hit us ?) so we stopped to have a look a the damage to us and the goofy bird.

Fortunately the car was fine and so was the Pheasant (it was a bit stunned but otherwise OK) and we went on our way.

The females are not much better, they tend to lead their chicks across busy roads into traffic with all the carnage that usually causes.

It's a wonder they're not extinct.

16. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Most of our clocks change themselves automatically now but I can never remember how to do the one in the car so it's usually wrong for half of the year. I've got a new(er) car now so I'm waiting with bated breath to see if it will change by itself.

kibosh likes this.
  17. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I hate it too when the clocks go back, because it heralds the misery of winter. On the positive side though, it's really nice anticipating when they are about go forward again.

18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

We usually go to Europe in Sept for a while, returning in early October, so we've had 3-4 weeks of the clocks being an hour ahead. Barely 3 weeks after we get back and I've finally adjusted my sleep pattern to home, our clocks go back an hour. It's the buggerage to bedtime that gets me every time. Spring's not a lot better either, as we go abroad for a month in late March so we end up two hours ahead within a few days. I need my beauty sleep.

kibosh likes this.
  19. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

Agree - although I am sure I skim read an article saying Finland was asking (quite angrily) the EU to stop this?

For yes, those poor Scandinavians end up having to toe the line and soon are in almost constant darkness.

kibosh likes this.
  20. zizzyballoon

To make you 'pretty'?

Norsemaid and emerald52 like this.