1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I *hate* interview lessons!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by MrsBridgewater, Jun 8, 2011.

1. MrsBridgewater

MrsBridgewater New commenter

Should point out - that I have only just finished my PGCE - so have no more experience of teaching than the other candidates.

2. Ohhh I hate them too. It's not so bad if it's with a small group, in fact I've enjoyed one recently but a whole class, for a full session? Unrealistic! I too become a bag of nerves. I am never my real, relaxed and happy self!
    I do always practice to an empty room or my husband though as more often than not, it's timings that can trip you up.

3. MrsBridgewater

Would be a lot easier if the school would let me have a class list..... I've just asked for the third time.... at the moment I have no idea how big the class is, what their attainment levels really are (bottom set) or if there are any SEN/EAL pupils. Would be nice to know these things - as having 16 SEN/EAL pupils in a class of 30 would obviously impact on my planning!

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Congratulations Mrs B. Teaching bottom sets successfully is a real test of strengths, so even better.

5. Well done!!
    When I sent a request for lots of information on the class (any of: SEN/AEL/GT, seating plan,current range of levels etc) I was told I couldn't have any lists because of confidentiality.
    All they would tell me is I'd have 31 pupils, levels from 2-5 (mixed ability class).
    Another school sent me everything and extra just in case. I guess it depends 1) the culture of the school 2) what they want to see during the lesson.
    I agree - they're all a bit fake! Especially when you go 2nd and have to teach half a lesson on exactly what the previous candidate did..... that happened to me once.

6. Even worse if you are the 7th candidate that has to teach the same class on the same thing - happened to me and we were all asked to teach the same class for 45 mins on place value. I was the last person so you can imagine - the kids had had enough - very poor organisation.
    Well done to the op! Great news :)

7. MrsBridgewater

I did that in the first bit of the question when they asked about procedures.

My feeling, having attended two interviews, is that it is better not to be *too* ambitious with the interview lesson. There are too many unknowns in a new class and classroom, trying to do a whiz bang practical is a recipe for, if not disaster then at least, not getting the job! Unless the school ask that you do a practical I would avoid it. I did demos - getting the pupils involved, but in a way that I could easily control, then some group work that got them all thinking - so much so that I'll definitely do it again when I teach that topic!

8. I've had similar - last candidate of four to teach the same Y3 class a lesson on the same theme - adventure stories...and because one of the candidates was late due to traffic or something, my lesson ended up being late and the children had not had their morning break!! You can imagine!!
    I would also say as well just as an add-on to this the last three interview lessons I have taught have been full one-hour Literacy or Numeracy-based lessons, so I'm guessing a lot of schools (around here at least) now ask candidates to do a full lesson.