1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I hate Guided Reading Planning

Discussion in 'Primary' started by skills324, Feb 26, 2012.

1. skills324

skills324 New commenter

It's just more paper work.
    A simple timetable is good enough- I feel,

As long as the sessions that take place are valuable and provide children with good opportunities to read a range of texts, the adults discuss and question the children's knowledge and understanding and they are generally worth while.

Anyone else agree- or do you enjoy doing detailed plans for guieded reading?

2. skills324

skills324 New commenter

It's just more paper work.
    A simple timetable is good enough- I feel,

As long as the sessions that take place are valuable and provide children with good opportunities to read a range of texts, the adults discuss and question the children's knowledge and understanding and they are generally worth while.

Anyone else agree- or do you enjoy doing detailed plans for guieded reading?

3. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

I don't write plans for guided reading.

4. skills324

skills324 New commenter

I really feel a timetable is more than enough.

What are your sessions like?
    I bet some people will argue- they need to be detailed/ like any other subject...

5. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

I work in a large school with 4 and 5 class entry.
    This year we decided to plan GR together, so we plan for a 3 or 4 week GR cycle. So I plan one set of books (e.g. non-fiction. Teach to my class for the 3 or 4 weeks as agreed. Then pass on to the next teacher.
    So we have a fair amount of planning to do, but then pass it on so cover a term for one lot of planning.
    It is working well so far, especially as the head of lit asked us to use the reading targets (cannot remmeber waht they are called) so planning using the target overview is easier done for each other.