1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I HATE CHUNKING METHOD OF DIVISION

Discussion in 'Primary' started by I_like_food, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Need to get that off my chest!

It's Sunday night and I'm due to be teaching division end of this week. I'm trying to plan for this lesson but try as I might I am just not getting anywhere. The method (in the school guidelines) COMPLETELY baffles me and it does not help that when I was in junior school division was the one thing in Maths I did not get (and maths was my strongest subject in school)

BAH!!!

2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Don't understand it, never have and not sure I ever will. Once taught a year 5 class on supply who were covering this - got 2 kids to do the whole lesson for me! lol

3. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Don't worry, there is hope!

When I was first introduced to this I thought the same as you. No idea what was going on. Now I love it! It seems like the easiest way to do a large division calculation. The children in my maths class love it too (all but 2 or 3 use it confidently). It was the same with the grid method for multiplication, no idea at first but great now.

4. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

Having been taught the traditional methods for calulating when I was at school, it was a complete revelation to me that there were other methods which actually support children's understanding.
    If you teach multiplication and division together ... chunking is the opposite of repeated addition, in fact it is easier to solve division problems by using repeated addition than repeated subtraction especially if you are asking them to solve mentally. As long as you are presenting contexts involving grouping rather than sharing this will make much more sense.
    I rarely use the old 'bus stop' method myself now and actually understand what I'm doing rather than remembering a procedure.
    Carrie :)

5. I use the bus stop method with Year 5. They don't seem to have a problem with it, and can do division by repeated subtraction too. I understand that repeated subtraction isn't the most reliable or efficient method when dividing large numbers, but it works for them. I think that, as long as they have been taught a few methods, they should be able to choose their preferred method (ie the one they are most confident with and the one they know they will get the correct answers with) by the end of Y6.

6. Although I have always called it the "bus stop method," I didn't actually know until just now that it is a recognised name for long division! Haha. Learn something new every day.

7. It may not be taught as one of the more efficient methods, but I personally find it easier to divide by chunking than the bus stop method. Chunking clearly shows the value of each digit too, whereas I feel that bus stop method sometimes loses the value of each digit.
    If that makes sense?
    JSY x

8. Were you taught the chunking method? As far as I can remember, I was always taught the bus stop method.
    Yes, it does make sense. I sometimes find that the lower abiltiy children get confused about the place value aspect of long division.

9. I'll be honest, I can't remember. And I can't remember being taught grid method for multiplication, but I prefer using that too. It's as though I stopped a few steps short of the short formal methods, even though maths has always been my strongest subject. It has never held me back though, top grades at GCSE and A Level have been achieved using those methods, so I think it somethings just depends on personal preference - once they have been taught both methods obviously.
    JSY x

10. I also do not remember being taught the grid method, and I always find it difficult to teach, but I agree that, as long as the children have been taught both methods, it all comes down to personal preference.

11. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

I do the bus stop with subtraction. Bit hard to show it on here but I'm sure I got it off youtube. Much easier than chunking. My year 4s loved it last year.

12. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

Oh yeah, I wouldn't be saving chunking until the end of the week either. I'd spend the whole week on division! It's the hardest of the 4 operations for most so it needs the time.

13. I feel the same, I am worried about spending a lot of time on that at the risk of rushing some of the other maths topics later on in the unit/future units

I have always found it amusing how schools can become rather pedantic about mathematical written method

14. I love the grid method and chunking as children can actually spot their errors.

The grid method is great because it can be used for multiplying out quadratics at KS3 - very useful!
    The only thing I wish I could convince my school to change about the grid method is to add-up to the number rather than subtracting from it... the reason my LA children can't manage chunking is because they make errors in the subtraction (as they find this much harder than addition). I appear to be fighting a losing battle on this one though!