1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I guess that's a wrap for clap for carers.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tolkien28, May 28, 2020.

1. tolkien28

tolkien28 Occasional commenter

Last Thursday I posted the observation that clap for carers seemed to be past it's best and the following day the founder said that she felt it should be wound up. Anyway, tonight my street was out in force..... clapping, banging pots and pans the odd firework, photos to post on FB, even a child playing his recorder. It feels like it's come to a natural end......10 weeks and the last Thursday in May too. Any thoughts?

bombaysapphire likes this.
  2. WB

WB Lead commenter

It was done for the best of reasons.

Most people joined in for the best of reasons.

I think it's best that it stops before it begins to go stale.

I never joined in not because I don't care or because I'm ungrateful - far from it - I just don't like joining in with what other people feel is the right thing.

The people next door did it. Funny thing is last year I was in the doctors' and the mother was shouting at the staff because she didn't get what she demanded.

Glad it's over.

3. lunarita

lunarita Senior commenter

Would be ever more uncomfortable to continue it now that lockdown is being relaxed, rules undermined, and medical advice against opening schools being ignored.

Lalad, Laphroig, Jamvic and 5 others like this.
  4. tolkien28

tolkien28 Occasional commenter

Yes I'm glad its over too. The first few weeks seemed fresh and spontaneous. The last few weeks seemed like it had run it's course. It served its purpose, time to move on.

knitone, nomad, Jamvic and 2 others like this.
  5. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Agreed.

WB, nomad, Jamvic and 1 other person like this.
  6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We went out tonight and there seemed to be agreement among those in the road that this was the last one.

nomad, Jamvic and tolkien28 like this.
  7. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

My ICU daughter said that, for the last month, she and her colleagues realised it was a self-serving exercise when all she, and fellow professionals, wanted was for people to observe social distancing
    Talk the talk - yes. Walk the walk - NO!!

8. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Yes time for it to come to an end now. I think it's been helpful for a lot of people. My elderly neighbours look forward to it each week as it's the only time they come out of the house and it gave them a chance to talk to people.

abwdSTEM and tolkien28 like this.
  9. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

They can still do that.

knitone and jubilee like this.
  10. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

10 weeks and not once was our street featured on the 10 o'clock news.

Nanny Ogg, knitone and abwdSTEM like this.
  11. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

The volunteer group in our village organised an event this evening, as a last 'thank you'. Even the police came. And it all got a bit out of hand and crowded. Big help to the NHS, but at least all those people got to show how much they care...

bombaysapphire and Dunteachin like this.
  12. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I'm still wondering who your avatar is and what she's saying...

13. abwdSTEM

abwdSTEM Occasional commenter

Perhaps instead we could have a clap for the clappers who clapped for carers. :D

14. Alby

Alby New commenter

How about 'Cr.ap for Cummings'?

jubilee likes this.
  15. LondonCanary

How would that look on the pavement at your front door? You need to rethink it.

Alby and abwdSTEM like this.
  16. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Next door's dog started that several months ago ...

bombaysapphire likes this.
  17. LondonCanary

Amy Elliott Dunne.
    She is saying
    "I killed for you. Who else can say that?"

18. Alby

Alby New commenter

OK, on his vision tests the turtle's headed one could collect donations from specified areas of the country (distance no object) and transport them to one of his abodes to pile up against the insides of his doors and windows to act as security barriers. These trips could take place on notable dates such as family birthdays so the timing would be known in advance, and I'm sure there would be no shortage of willing volunteers to 'Dump for Dom'.

19. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

:eek:

LondonCanary likes this.
  20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We supported it as usual last night as did all our street.

Its not over - my Daughter and Sister are still alive and for that 'll always be grateful.

mothorchid likes this.