1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I got the job!

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by MrAJohn, Feb 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. MrAJohn

MrAJohn New commenter

dear Theo,
    I have been successful in getting an assistant head job. I got the call last night and said yes.
    The advert did not have a salary scale on it. The advert stated that pay would recognise experience (or words to that effect). The CEO told me, via the call, that they would write an official letter with the job offer. They know my current salary. I have an expectation of a salary; if the offer isn’t what I expect how do I go about negotiations or is that a no no?

2. Kubrick2001

Kubrick2001 New commenter

I was in a similar position and I negoitated by salary, I just explained the reasons why, obviously any increase your looking for has to be in reason - they can only say no, but if you don't ask...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

I would have expected that this would have been part of the interview process - that bit when they ask if you've got any questions. Going forward, be prepared to negotiate. Also, you may need to decide what your response will be if they do not meet your expectations.

simonCOAL and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Theo no longer posts here.

Salary should have been discussed at interview.

As others have said, think of a strategy if offered salary does not match expectations.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

When you receive the offer letter, look at the salary and decide if you are happy with it or not.
    If not, drop an email with the expected salary and reasons for it.
    They will probably end up meeting you half way.

simonCOAL likes this.
  6. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Sorry OP, but I agree.
    In most other jobs, applicants know what the pay is before accepting an interview.
    Anyway, there’s good advice here and you might be OK.

I hope it works out for you.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Really?
    Presumably when you say 'other jobs' you mean outside teaching?

Once there stopped being national scales for teachers, I've never known the salary before going to interview. Nor even before being offered the post.

When offered I always say something like "I'd love to accept, subject to agreeable pay and conditions." They respond with something like "Of course. We're discussing salary tomorrow and I'll call you again in the afternoon, having emailed you a draft contract in the morning." I finish with something like "Thank you, I'm sure we'll reach an agreement and all will be well."

When they ring back with salary ideas, I'm ready to negotiate upwards a little and they are expecting that to happen.

8. BYusuf

BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

Hi MrAJohn,

You have been given a lot of good advice already and I hope that you have already been able to negotiate your salary.

Ideally, salary negotiations should happen during the interview to inform your decision about whether or not you want to accept the job offer. And even if you do negotiate an agreed salary, you always needs to check what's written within the offer letter.