1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I got the job... and a quick question.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by KitMaff, Jul 8, 2011.

1. I got a job! It's for 2.5 term's maternity cover. I love the school and I'm very very happy.
    A bit of background - I didn't actually apply for the job. The deputy head is a friend of mine and she mentioned to the head that I was looking and that I had also interviewed at their partner school. The Head phoned ththe partner head and she said lovely things about me so the Head called me and asked me to come for an interview. I did and I got the job.
    I had an interview lined up for a temp (12 month contract)-permanent job at school that I very much loved with a really dynamic, forward thinking Head. Interview for that one would have been on Monday. I withdrew from that yesterday and they phoned me today and asked me to interview anyway and if I got it to turn the job I have accepted down!! I said no. That I had accepted the position and much as I loved their school I didn't feel that it would be right. I was somewhat taken aback by this phonecall but feel that I've absolutely done the right thing. My question is... Would it be professionally acceptable to write to the Head of the school I withdrew from to say that I loved the school and that I would be available from May 2012 and if any other positions come up, I would really like to be considered. Or would this be a no-no? Or pointless?
    Thank you.
    Kitty x

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Question is, if the Head was willing to suggest to came to the interview anyway and then turn down a post you'vealready been offered and accepted, would you want to work for such a Head?

3. Lol! I get your point Lara... But honestly, yes I would. That aside, which was pretty bad admittedly, the school was amazing and it's down to her vision and leadership. She is really making a difference and I'd love to be a part of it. [​IMG]

4. I would like to say that I'm delighted with the job that I got and had absolutely no qualms about saying no. [​IMG]

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You're a star, a twinkly star!
    [​IMG]
    Super, super, super!
    Make sure you read the thread aboiut What To Do Now..
    Another big Well Done for turning down the other interview - the Head was Very Naughty to suggest that you went anyway.
    Very Naughty.
    I sort of side with Lara here - could you ever trust that Head since she was encouraging you to break a contractual agreement with another school? And stab a colleague in the back?
    But if you really feel that this is a minor blip, then by all means write. She should respect you even more for your decision.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

6. Thank you for my star!! And thank you Lara and Theo you are both absolutely correct. Dodgy practice is dodgy practice no matter how much I want it to be untrue! [​IMG]