1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I got an interview :-)

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Georgia99, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Yipee!!! I applied for a job at a local fe college before Christmas and had given up hope but a letter arrived yesterday.
    The position is variable hours but I visited the college during my Secondary PGCE for the optional week placement-rather than going to a primary school and really liked it, they also told me that all their lecturers start off as variable part time.
    I am currently employed part time in a school on a maternity contract but as this will end anywhere between April and June I need something else.
    There will be an interview and a 10 minute presentation to give. I am not sure whether they would expect me to use PowerPoint or flip chart paper of hand outs etc? I contacted HR but they wouldn't give me any information so I am a little lost!

2. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Yipee!!! I applied for a job at a local fe college before Christmas and had given up hope but a letter arrived yesterday.
    The position is variable hours but I visited the college during my Secondary PGCE for the optional week placement-rather than going to a primary school and really liked it, they also told me that all their lecturers start off as variable part time.
    I am currently employed part time in a school on a maternity contract but as this will end anywhere between April and June I need something else.
    There will be an interview and a 10 minute presentation to give. I am not sure whether they would expect me to use PowerPoint or flip chart paper of hand outs etc? I contacted HR but they wouldn't give me any information so I am a little lost!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Firstly, congratulations on that interview.
    As to the presentation, it may well depend if you're giving it to the interview panel, in which case <u>possibly not</u> access to a whiteboard to show your Ppt, or to a group of students in which caes you may.
    Personally I'd do 'belt & braces' BOTH and then you're covered. Handouts of your presentation to leave them with sounds good too!
    You sound very organised, so get preparing! We hope, to see you add to the interviews reminders only if you want to let us know the date, or that Dear Theo I got the job thread.
    Best of luck!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Excellent news!
    Make sure that you open the Interview clickables inside the Welcome thread, there's loads of very useful advice there.
    For your presentation, have an USB with a PowerPoint (but minimalist - do NOT put on there just what you are going to say, only headers!), and also a hand out. Your presentation will not be to students, in my view, because they would have told you this and called it a class, because the content would be very different.
    Do be careful with the timing: you need to speak SLOWLY for a presentation, so what you practice at home, gabbling away in your living room, will be much much too long.
    Best wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

5. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Thank you Lara and Theo. The letter does not specify whether the presentation will be to a class or to the interview panel but I am assuming the latter because the 10 minute presentation is immediately followed by my interview and the topic of the presentation would be of no interest to students imo as it around the areas of retention and quality.
    Great advice about having some handouts prepared, I will have to make sure I am not talking too fast then and I do tend to do that especially when nervous :-/

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, I thought it highly unlikely it would be for students.
    Don't prepare too much, you can'y say very much speaking slowly in 10 minutes. And leave time for a quick summing up at the end.
    Good luck!
    Best wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

So looks as if presentation will be for interview panel. All you know need to know is whether you will have access to a computer and whiteboard (agree the memory stick is an easier option than trying to take in your own laptop). Remember to have a back up plan, just in case the technology 'fails' ,happened to a colleague, but he had everything printed out ready in case of that eventuality. so it didn't throw him.