1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I got a new job! - what to do/ask/find out?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by KarrieGem, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Hi everyone, Just looking for a bit of advice really, I am an NQT who has not been in the classroom for a while due to a long illness but this week I got a maternity cover job which will finally allow me to start my NQT year. I will be teaching Year 1 and I start in March but from January until then I will be doing supply at the school a couple of days a week with another class. I am excited but feeling quite nervous as it does feel like quite a while since I last taught and obviously I want to do a good job. I want to be as well prepared as I can be and obviously as I will be in between now and when I start I will have the opportunity to ask questions and find out things, but it just feels like with a new school and everything there is so much to learn, so much to do and find out that I don't know where to start! I'm trying to be organised and write a list of all of the things I can think of that I need to find out or ask before I start so just wondered - does anyone have any ideas? What would you ask when starting a new school? Any advice / suggestions greatly appreciated, K x

2. Hey congrats getting a job, there aren't many to be had so thats a bonus on your side, they obviously like what they saw!
    Id start by asking for behaviour policies, APP, AfL that the school use (e.g. could be R.A.G), timetabling, will you be working with another in the phase for phase planning or are you to do it on your own, what phonic programe they use, SEN in your class....cant think, sorry, head's on holiday, but hope this is a starter!!!

3. How tea fund is paid.
    Do you have own mugs or staffroom mugs?
    Do people have places that they like to sit in the staffroom?
    Which parents do you need to watch out for?

4. Where to get extra pencils, rubbers etc.
    How to use the photocopier. Do you need a number? Amount of copies acceptable?
    Break duties.
    What to do during a fire drill/alarm
    Where to collect class from in a morning/at break/at lunch.
    Codes for doors
    Names of caretakers, cleaners and office staff.
    Details of any schemes used.

5. char2505

char2505 New commenter

I'd photocopy lots of class lists - I'm Y1 too, and always need to keep track of whose completed this work, paid for that, won star of the day, read to the TA that week etc!
    Well done on the job x.

6. Find out the names of all staff. You wouldn't believe the number of times someone says "Oh just ask Michelle" or whoever and you haven't a clue who she is.
    The office staff are also incredibly useful to get to know well, they are a fount of all knowledge. And as someone else said, the caretaker too.

7. Thanks, some great advice here. I feel like I have so much to learn and I am starting to get nervous now!

K x