1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I got a job!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Lilybett, Jul 22, 2011.

1. I'm a primary teacher but in Feb I applied for an LSA post at a local secondary school. I came second (as ever) and just forgot about it. I have been absolutely heartbroken (!!) not to have found a teaching post for September and the summer holidays were looking like a long and desolate stretch... but I just had a phonecall from the school saying they kept my details on file and offering me another LSA post, one-year contract from Sep!
    WOO!
    Everyone's been like, 'What? Just an LSA job?' and 'What? You're going to hold off looking for a teaching job for a year?' and 'A year is a long time' and 'That's a 50% pay cut' (50% of nothing??) but I'm really pleased! A salary! No more supply! A proper job in a school to help me get a teaching post for Sep 2012! A salary! SALARY! Did I mention salary?
    I'm so stoked. Whatever - I know it's not exacty the job I'm qualified for but I think it will help me get a teaching job? And a SALARY!
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! xxx

2. AND I have a caution on my police record which I was nervous about. But they know this as they photocopied my CRB on the interview day. PHEW!

3. That is AWESOME!! Well done!!

4. Thanks, darling! Remember I said I was going to share Head's feedback with you? He hasn't returned my call ha ha and not sure whether I want to bother him on the last day of term. Just so you know - I didn't just forget/not bother xxx

5. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Well done! x

6. Thanks, luv! Was about to start, 'Did you teach me GCSE Engli-' but we have had that conversation. Several times! xx

7. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

lol [​IMG] Have fun celebrating this weekend x

8. I am off to get so tiddly I can no longer even spell 'job' [​IMG] AND it's stopped raining!
    God, I wanted to swing for people when they chirruped this but it's so true: DON'T GIVE UP HOPE! xxx

9. AND (God, what an ingrate): thank you to the MANY people who have helped me so much over the last few months with my stupid questions, giving me application and interview tips and basically providing me with an agony aunt service. I won't be going anywhere! Ha ha xxx

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You're a star, a twinkly star!
    [​IMG]
    Super, super, super!
    The first thing to do is to read this thread:
    Got a Job Offer? What to do now . . .
    and then bump it for other people to see.
    I think TA posts are very nice. K, you get less money, but there's a lot less stress too, and you feel that you are doing something really worthwhile. Very rewarding.
    TIP: keep a folder with examples of how you are gaining, professionally, as a teacher in this role. It will help you write a good application for a teaching post later on.
    All the best for the new term.
    ._____________________________________________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate

11. Can't believe I FINALLY got a star!! [​IMG] And this is a GREAT tip - definitely going to do this - thanks, Theo! xx

12. <font size="2">I just wanted to
    say that I am thrilled that you have secured a job for September, Lilybett.
    Your enthusiasm leaps off the page and I think the children who will be in your
    care are very lucky to have you as their support teacher. </font>

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">

</font><font size="2">Best wishes for
    the future.</font>

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">

</font>

13. What a lovely thing to say - thank you! xxx

14. This thread really made me smile! [​IMG]

15. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Not at all. You can resign at the appropriate point (on or before 31st October or on or before 28/29th February) in the autumn or spring terms if you wish.

16. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I had no idea this is the case. I've always presumed if I'm employed for a temporary contract I had to 'see out' the length of the contract. Mind you not sure I'd like to mess a school or the pupils about like that!

17. If someone on a permanent contract has the right to leave in the middle of the year someone who has a temporary contract has that right too. It would be mad to give up the chance to get a permanent post to see out a temporary contract.

18. vou

vou

Dear Lilybett,
    just read the whole of your thread -made me smile!! And yes - you're got a job!! Well done!! Hope you had fun celebrating!! :)

19. I want a bloody star

20. Errr ok.