1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I got a Job Teaching in a Brooklyn Middle School AMA

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mgecob, Jan 10, 2019.

1. mgecob

mgecob New commenter

After 2 years of applying for jobs across the United States and North America I got a Job teaching in a Middle School in an under-served community in Brooklyn New York. I'm happy to share my experience and hints and tips for other teachers who wish to work over here.
    Things I can answer questions on
    - Where is best to apply and find information about job opportunities.
    - When is the best time to apply for jobs.
    - Tips for international interviews
    - Things you will require
    - The Visa application process.
    - Experiences I have had since working here
    I will attempt to reply as soon as possible. Look forward to hearing from you.

2. Boodle789

Boodle789 New commenter

Hi! I'm embarking on a search at the moment and would love to hear about your experience! I'd definitely like to know more about where to apply, how to approach schools, the best time and the visa process. Cheers :)

3. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Genuine question, how do you afford to live in Brooklyn on a teacher salary?

4. james_1979

james_1979 New commenter

Great question! I'm intrigued. I have famy in NY and their HOA alone is $1000USD!

Wilmthrop likes this.
  5. joe_stewart

joe_stewart New commenter

Sent you a PM :)

6. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

This was a truly enlightening AMA. Thanks for doing this

7. clovispoint

clovispoint Occasional commenter

Useful thread so far, real insight into the process and pitfalls :rolleyes:

T0nyGT likes this.
  8. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

The real pros know how to let the tension and anticipation build.

Helen-Back and T0nyGT like this.
  9. mgecob

mgecob New commenter

I searched specifically on the NYC Charter school Job board, I found that most international schools have a very specific type of candidate that they are looking for, specifically someone who has spent time working for other international schools in less desirable areas. If you want to skip the Que apply directly to the charter schools themselves.
    Each state has their own systems and the more willing you are to be flexable where you end up the quicker it will take you to get a job. The best time to apply is around now, a VISA takes around 3 months and or longer, so if you wish to start in September you need to be applying now.

10. mgecob

mgecob New commenter

It is not to bad, much as schools in London account for cost of living, so do schools in New York, as a 4 or 5th year teacher with good experience and references you can expect to ask for a good wage and then travel and relocation expense on top of this

11. mgecob

mgecob New commenter

always keen to help those who help themselves!

12. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

At a parents' evening some years ago::

Me: You're from New York.
    Dad: You can do better dan dat.
    Me: O.K. You're from Brooklyn.

Altogether now:

Toyty poyple boyds
    A-sittin' by da coyb
    A-choypin' an' a-boypin'
    An' a-eatin' doyty woyms.

13. mgecob

mgecob New commenter

14. richardwillis998

richardwillis998 New commenter

Congrats in the job - I've been looking for over a year. I did get interviews at a EF school in NY but wasn't offered the role.

I've been toying with visiting the US again and trying to get a license from Commonwealth of Virginia but I'm trying to get my qualifications accredited through a company in Chicago before I do that.

Well done again. Which Visa are you on - J or H?

15. mgecob

mgecob New commenter

I am currently on the J-1 which is great because is guarantees training and professional development while I work. I'm currently getting my qualification accredited.
    I would suggest looking into charter schools as this is a way to get in without a US masters.