1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I get the keys to my house tomorrow!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by impulce, Feb 24, 2011.

1. I know I had another thread about my house-buying process, but tomorrow I get the keys to my first 'real' home and I am SO excited! I have basically been wishing my half term away. Contracts have exchanged so it is now officially mine, and I just want to be in there!
    The weekend is going to be a blur of cleaning and painting! Luckily we still have our rented house for a months overlap so plenty of time to move everything across gradually (Plus it is literally a 30 second walk away).
    Incidently does anybody know how my utilities bills will work with the one months overlap? Presumably gas/elec just set up another parallel account and then send me a final bill for the rented house? What about council tax, and water?

2. I know I had another thread about my house-buying process, but tomorrow I get the keys to my first 'real' home and I am SO excited! I have basically been wishing my half term away. Contracts have exchanged so it is now officially mine, and I just want to be in there!
    The weekend is going to be a blur of cleaning and painting! Luckily we still have our rented house for a months overlap so plenty of time to move everything across gradually (Plus it is literally a 30 second walk away).
    Incidently does anybody know how my utilities bills will work with the one months overlap? Presumably gas/elec just set up another parallel account and then send me a final bill for the rented house? What about council tax, and water?

3. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

How fantastic for you! I still remember when we moved from our first one-bedroom attic flat to a three bedroomed end-of-terrace with a through lounge and diner. I couldn't believe the sudden space and kept running up and down the room with the sheer joy of it all. Enjoy! Great planning on your part, too, what with the rental still running.
    Sorry, I pay no attention to bills (very sexist but Mr SN does that side of things) so can't offer any practical guidance - but I am sure that many will be able to.
    Good luck!

4. Congrats Impulce [​IMG]
    Have you informed your utilities that you are moving? You will need to give them a final gas/elec reading from your old place and then your start gas/elec reading on the day that you complete on the new house. You will also need to ring the council on completion day to set up your tax and ring the water company with meter readings.

5. Thanks! I do intend to run around the new house gleefully, several times!
    Ive not yet PFF because I am waiting for a letter from rental agency to confirm my final day here - I know when I think it should be, but would like confirmation first. If I havent had that letter today then tomorrow I will ring council tax/water/gas/elec and explain the situation - im sure I can just alter the leaving date for this house if it ends up being slightly different?

6. laffal0t

laffal0t New commenter

oooh exciting!
    Congrats on your new home!

Enjoy

7. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Senior commenter

You can get an exemption from council tax for up to six months on a property that's empty and unfurnished, so you may not need to double up on the council tax during the overlap period.
    Good luck. An exciting time.

8. It will kind of be half furnished and half occupied though as were moving over gradually! I will enquire when I ring up though, thanks for the information :)

9. Congrats impulce!! I wish you lots of luck in your new home :) xx

10. Thanks - we got the keys this morning and have been there the whole day stripping wallpaper (that horrible anaglypta stuff) which has been hard work but great fun. Next step is polyfilla, sanding and painting - cant wait for it to start looking a bit more modern and OURS! I am loving just having a project to work on.

11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

Just remember if you are stripping down paint that much of the old stuff is lead based..so mask on..and when your sandinfg don filler as well.saves your lungs.
    Dont overdo the task and finish on roomat a time other wise you run out of steam and are left with unfinished rooms
    Hope it goes really well for you.......but rememeber try to do the building work before you decorate......other wise you have to do it twice.

12. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Feel excited for you. A new home - lovely! All the very best for your new life.[​IMG]

13. same from me - kep us updated on progress if you have time!

14. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Congratulations. Enjoy having your own space. We are just in the process of putting our house on the market and looking for somewhere else to make home. It's exciting even when it's far from the first time!

15. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Hope this works...
    [​IMG]

and:

16. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

[​IMG]

Good luck in your new home x