1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I get bored during the summer holidays, what can I do?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by boycekid7, Jan 11, 2011.

1. I know some people would kill for 7 weeks off in the summer and as much as I appreciate how lucky teachers are with their holidays I find it quite boring after a while.
    Does anyone have any ideas for any short-term employment that's available during the summer months?
    I know there are jobs available but I want to do something interesting, not just working for workings sake.

2. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

Summer camps? I almost went to teach in one in Italy which I was very excited about until I discovered it clashed with my graduation. You can work for them up until the age of 30. Google ACLE. You're very lucky to already be worried about being bored during the summer holidays! Sadly I find myself, as do some of my colleagues, wishing a lot of the stressful work time away for holidays! So far my summers haven't even been that stress free as since completing my probation in 2008 they've been spent worrying about whether I'd be employed the following August or not.

3. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

Come and clean my house, then decorate it, and when you've finished that you can sort out the garden.
    Meanwhile I will be doing my summer holiday job as a tour guide!

4. I know you are probably looking for paid work but one year I helped out at a transition summer school, which was a week where children from P7 who needed extra support (social, emotional or learning) attended their assigned secondary school for activities, allowing them to make friends and get to know the layout of the school. This year I'll be spending every second with my little boy, he'll see little enough of me as it is :(