1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

(I)GCSE in PHSE or Citizenship

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by spanboy, Apr 18, 2012.

1. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

Hi, I'm HoKS4 and was wondering if anyone knows of/offers (I)GCSE PSHE or Citizenship? We have a 55min weekly lesson at KS3 & 4 and I feel that a GCSE in the subject may encourage the students to treat it a bit more 'seriously' than at present.
    Does this qualification exist on an International level? If so, who runs it? The only one I can find is Northern Ireland's CCEA.
    Many thanks

2. spanboy

Hi, I'm HoKS4 and was wondering if anyone knows of/offers (I)GCSE PSHE or Citizenship? We have a 55min weekly lesson at KS3 & 4 and I feel that a GCSE in the subject may encourage the students to treat it a bit more 'seriously' than at present.
    Does this qualification exist on an International level? If so, who runs it? The only one I can find is Northern Ireland's CCEA.
    Many thanks

3. I once drew the short straw and had to teach this.
    The kids wouldn't take it seriously.
    But then again...neither could I.

4. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Spanboy, I'm fairly certain you will not find what you seek - and for understandable reasons.
    We're a fairly 'observant' national curriculum school up to KS4, and we too have tinkered endlessly with PSHE to encourage students to take it seriously. This means that the course must be amenable, relevant, useful etc., and in our view there's no getting away from the fact that we have to tailor this ourselves, to our context and our children, rather than looking for a labour-saving pre-package from elsewhere.
    There are also those - and I guess I'm one - who are uneasy about an area like PSHE being 'examined' in the same way as other subjects. (If I were an IBMYP evangelist, I'd be writing this de haut en bas telling you sniffiliy that the whole outmoded GCSE enterprise should have gone the way of the British Empire years ago)
    The question of what is appropriate, and timely, for students to explore in PSHE at different stages, is difficult enough in the UK.
    All the more so in an international context. Our biggest national 'bloc' is from the host country, where parents range all the way from tight-lipped 'Opus Dei' dragons through to blissed-out Surfies. The second biggest group is the Brit-Paddy gang, who come from every conceivable background, then the Yanks where we have both Rick Santorum and Allen Ginsberg in Year 13, (not to mention Monica Lewinsky [​IMG])... and then more than 40 other nationalities.
    The contrast between the expectations and behaviour of, say, a 15-year-old girl from a traditional South Korean family, her exact contemporary from a jet-setty clan in Spain, and the daughter of the Ambassador of the Islamic Republic of Iran, make this area an interesting one to say the least.
    Thus, to the best of my knowledge, the people who invent formal examination programmes have not thought this challenge worthwhile.
    I'd be very interested to hear that I'm wrong and that there are, in fact, International PSHE programmes out there.
    For what it's worth, spanboy, we have pushed PSHE as far 'back' as decently possible, first because kids are more advanced and exposed anyway these days, so they need to hear in Year 6 about stuff that only came to my disbelieving ears at Uni., and second in order to free time in KS4 for homegrown courses in Critical Thinking, Outdoor Education and Group Projects, all these with an eye on better preparation for the IB in KS5.

5. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

An interesting link, Mrbrightside, thank you.
    My rapid reply was too narrowly focused on the difficulties of pleasing all the people all the time with the PSHE carnival - global citizenship is certainly worth exploring, with or without Edexcel to structure it for you.

6. InControliThink

InControliThink New commenter

You have a PM Spanboy from someone who is currently running this internationally.

It's a shame that experienced teachers don't value this subject and can't 'take it seriously'. You would think that someone who lives and works internationally could see the value of teaching young people about the gobal community.

Oh well.

7. spanboy

Thanks to all for your help.
    Cheers.

8. miklo123

miklo123 New commenter

InControliThink, I have been iven the responsibility to run the IGCSE Global Citizenship course and i am in need of a lot of help and resources. Could you possibly assist?

9. miklo123

miklo123 New commenter

InControliThink, I have been iven the responsibility to run the IGCSE Global Citizenship course and i am in need of a lot of help and resources. Could you possibly assist?