1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I gave in. I shouldn't have. But I did.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grumpydogwoman, Nov 28, 2015.

1. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

OK, I have the grandchildren all day and John Lewis delivered Christmas in a box on Monday so....... Yes, the tree is going up. The lights are on. Now the decorations.

Look, I have to do something with them!!!

ScotSEN, snowyhead, Sillow and 5 others like this.
  2. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The traditional thing grandparents do is to accidentally tread on their toys and break them. Do you think you could manage that?

ScotSEN and nomad like this.
  3. Nuuk

Nuuk Occasional commenter

Enjoy every minute of it, and especially the end result, a tree that has all the baubles at child height and nothing at the top or at the back! It will be a lovely reminder of them every time you look at it!

colpee, aspensquiver and InkyP like this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

We were just talking about putting ours up... next weekend has been allotted for the great task.

ScotSEN likes this.
  5. colpee

colpee Star commenter

We have a child's birthday the week before Christmas, so nothing up until after that, apart from a couple of advent calendars. And all down on 2nd January

6. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Our tree always goes up just before the end of term. No fixed date, but we have a real one and if it goes up too early the needles drop and we have a bare twig tree for Christmas day.

snowyhead and aspensquiver like this.
  7. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Grumpydogwoman:

Christmas in a box? Oh my goodness, no wonder the soul has gone out of the celebration and the true meaning lost.

You even make it sound ordinary. Well done.

VanEyssen likes this.
  8. VanEyssen

VanEyssen Established commenter

What's wrong with the 5th?

9. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

I'd issue a fine - say £1000 - for any house that puts up Christmas decorations before 1st Dec - and £50,000 for any shop.

10. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Can't wait to get my decorations up next weekend. Am making the kids' advent calendars today :)

11. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Tree and decs go up Christmas Eve (and would come down Boxing Day if I had my way!) and come down on 12th night.

aspensquiver and kent1 like this.
  12. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

The tradition here is to put them up after finishing school on the last day of term. We have a Chinese takeaway somewhere in the midst of the mayhem.
    They come down on Twelfth Night.

13. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

It's an 'Up on Christmas Eve and down on 12th Night for me,' too.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  14. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Tree up on Christmas Eve and down on 12th Night. Decorations sometimes not on by Christmas Day, just scattered around under foot which is, I think , very festive.
    Christmas should be banned in schools. No work gets done just endless interruptions and over excited badly behaved children. This itself would impact on outcomes.
    Christmas now takes up 8 % of the year - more of the academic year.
    I am so pleased I retired. Never again those annoying Christmas music CDs played non stop. No more Christmas parties or Christmas songs. Yayeray.
    I am sure we never had to endure this back in the days. We just had sandwich party and if we were lucky we all got to sit on the dinner benches in the hall to watch The Caruso Story - or The Song of Bernadette.
    Enough of this already.

kent1 likes this.
  15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Seconded.

monicabilongame likes this.
  16. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

12th night is the 6th!!

Spiritwalkerness likes this.
  17. jamiedoorknob

jamiedoorknob Occasional commenter

Its still November!

18. grumpydogwoman

We're still at it. This could take some time. It's a rotten day outside so what the heck.

They have my craft box out and have discovered that making an elaborate card before you check you have a suitable envelope isn't the best way to go about things.

All good learning. I don't expect to see them again until Christmas Day.

rachelpaula008 likes this.
  19. grumpydogwoman

I'm a "Saturday before Christmas as long as term is ended" person usually. Exception this year.

rachelpaula008 likes this.
  20. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Probably next weekend or the one after for us. We were early last year as we had a 'do' for the neighbours and it went up at the beginning of December. Currently trying to work out exactly what 'football clothes' and 'Zoella toiletries' might be. Requests from the two eldest cubs. The smallest cub is 5 months so doesn't get to choose. Nanny does though!