1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"I felt ashamed" "Something has to give"

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ridleyrumpus, Jan 4, 2019.

1. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

2. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Senior commenter

This has to stop.
    We cannot continue to allow our colleagues to sacrifice their mental health - and sometimes even their lives - in this way.

3. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

You can't blame management - they just try it on, then try a bit more, then a bit more, then … .
    This situation was and is all caused by teachers not having the courage and common sense to stand up for themselves and their colleagues.
    Lack of moral fibre and selfishness. Nothing else.
    Look where that passive attitude has taken us.
    Transformed a good job into a bad job.

4. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

5. tenpast7

tenpast7 Occasional commenter

Solution: Strikes and Mass walkouts.

TEA2111 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  6. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Suffering with no pay.

7. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

Accountability is the main culprit. I may be wrong but when I was at school in the 80s and 90s I don't think teachers' were judged particularly on results - and in fact there was nothing to judge in primary schools pre-national curriculum. Someone, somewhere decided that this allowed teachers to be lazy and introduced the target culture. It probably seemed like a genuinely good idea in theory but as so often is the case, the theorist didn't consider the messy business of reality - teachers are held accountable - with the risk of losing their job if a child doesn't achieve a particular grade even though:
    The target grade is fairly random, based on test scores which might be 5 years out of date in a completely different subject
    The child might have all kinds of complicated issues outside the classroom such as long periods of absence, a chaotic family, changes of school, illness etc over which the teacher has no control.
    The child might make a decision that they have no interest in passing this particular subject - a decision which is sometimes supported by the family and even in some cases for non-ebacc subjects, by the school's SLT - who then still question why said child failed to attain the target grade - despite being pulled out of lessons to attend intervention sessions in 'important' subjects.
    I could go on....

8. Sinnamon

Sinnamon Established commenter

That is one way, yes. It will stop teachers from feeling isolated in their problems. It's wrong teaching staff should have to suffer with no pay, but historically has been necessary with other injustices in education (as well as other professions). Drastic measures are needed to deal with this growing problem and I hope the unions are completely supporting teachers.

What's happening now, i.e. the recruitment crisis, is only going to worsen. I've firmly talked former pupils, as well as my own children, out of entering teaching, as have many other teachers/ex-teachers I know. I am aware this makes me a part of the problem, but I don't care. My main concern is for their future well-being.

I genuinely do not know how anyone can survive the teaching world nowadays. Or why they'd want to. Maybe some schools are better than others? Maybe these desparate cases are the exception rather than the rule? It'd be interesting to see some stats on how widespread this problem is.

9. thekillers1

Depends on individual schools. However, there are lies, damned lies and statistics.

10. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Back in the eighties, I used to think that some of the old lags who were militant were a bit extreme. I always used to strike but I did feel torn. The typical response from the older guys-and gals- was the classic 'it's the thin edge of the wedge'. Looking back, they were totally right. You now have a cowed and fractured profession. Bullying is common, there is no solidarity and there is very little recourse other than to move if you get unfairly targeted.

11. Timothy_Blue

Timothy_Blue Lead commenter

It will never happen in England.

12. Timothy_Blue

Timothy_Blue Lead commenter

And all but impossible to move at if a certain age it seems. 40 is the new 60....and counting down.

13. thekillers1

I agree - internal conflict between teachers and SLT.

install and Sir_Henry like this.
  14. Sir_Henry

Sir_Henry Occasional commenter

And divided unions alongside increasingly deunionised workforce (tas can stand for teachers)

15. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

It'll never happen because unions are too frightened to strike. English unions were broken by Thatcher; they're never coming back.

I'm an immigrant teacher here. Between the sickening workload, poor standard of education, and bad attitude of children, I nearly quit last year. Now with Brexit looming like some proverbial doomsday device, why the hell would I stay much longer? And my response isn't uncommon. Good luck finding teachers from overseas to fill gaps in the next three to five years.

16. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

If I had a £ every time....

The "Unions" cannot strike, it is the members that go on strike. The Unions is its members and the Unions organisation only represent its members, if the members want to go on strike (and it is legitimate and legal) then the Unions organisation will support its members in that action.

The reason that the "Union" have not been supporting strike action is because, for some unfathomable reason, the members have not wanted to take strike action.

Chicken and the Egg really.

17. Sinnamon

Sinnamon Established commenter

This was me in the 90s as an idealistic NQT. I couldn't abide the cynicism of the 'old guard', and couldn't understand why they couldn't simply get on with the job without questioning every single SLT decision.

Now I get it. It only took me 20 years to understand o_O

18. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Then...bring out the droids!

agathamorse and Sir_Henry like this.
  19. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Precisely this,well said.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. tenpast7

tenpast7 Occasional commenter

The "Fear Factor" and Teachers "looking out for themselves" and pretending they don't see colleagues who are struggling with difficult classes.
    SLT then pounce on experienced expensive staff, isolate them and save their precious Roles in the name of Pupil Progress or some other Target.