1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I feel sorry for men. No.... Really I do!!!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by onmyknees, Jul 1, 2015.

1. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

I've just been watching the news, where different men were being interviewed for one thing or another. They were all outside in the heat but wearing suits, shirts, ties, heavy shoes. Us ladies( whilst having to suffer other assorted discomforts ) are lucky to be able to wear much cooler clothes and sandals. I wonder why in this country men are still expected to dress like this in the summer? Surely we should be thinking about acceptable alternative fashion that is more appropriate?

2. If you'd seen the jailbait hooker garb some of our teachers turned up in today (I DO NOT WISH TO SEE YOUR KNICKERS), you'd wish it was just as hard for women too.

3. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Apparently, although there had been a rumour, we men can be allowed to wear shorts, mind you it is FE and a little more laid back.

4. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Only male tennis players look attractive in shorts. Surfer dude shorts are ok too - providing the male is young.

5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Complete male disaster areas

1 knee length khaki shorts with sandals and white or black socks

Any form of thin cotton board shorts anywhere other than the beach

Three quarter or seven eighths longs with socks and sandals.

Khaki or any other type of shorts, with multiple pockets dragging them completely out of shape.

6. tidal

tidal New commenter

*sits on hands to avoid more "tacky innuendo" *

You girls are getting awfully judgemental

Mind you socks should never be worn with sandals
    I mean what's the point?

7. Indeed. Socks should confine themselves to Opinion.

8. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

In my current school the male teachers have to wear suits and ties.

I have been appalled by what some of the women have been wearing this week. One female teacher has been dressed for the beach since Monday - shorts and a strappy top. She isn't young, either.

As in old enough to have a child at the school and to be a HoD. I don't care what anyone wears at home, but I really don't think that it's acceptable to wear that for work.

9. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

As above, female members of staff in dresses that could be worn out on a Friday night, 6th form girls in daisy duke short shorts.... PE staff dressed in, well swimming gear.

I removed my tie at lunch and walked to the water cooler. At 3.30 and end of school I was visited by my line manager to remind me of the dress code!

I pointed out that when they give me a room were more than 2 of the 5 possible windows open, and it is below 35c in the room. Not to mention no time between lesson to get a drink ....then I shall stick to the uniform rules...

Maybe I should wear a dress tomorrow and see how they deal with that!

10. It would be your perfect right and I bet my pension no-one would dare to even comment. Silence would indeed be (comedy) golden, and I expect a report on here pronto!

How's the fruit of your over-active loins?

11. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Fighting the heat and keeping Crystal awake at night.

Maybe I should go for a half way house, and go in a kilt tomorrow.

12. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

With out without pants underneath? Not a true scot if you wear pants under the kilt

ps have you felt how heavy a proper kilt weighs?

13. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

At my last school, all staff, male and female were obliged to wear jackets. I do think that in extreme temperatures, allowances should be made. That doesn't mean deviating from 'office' wear, but removing a tie, jacket, blazer is surely not going to incite rebellion.

A strappy top and shorts have no place in a classroom. Common sense often goes out of the window as temperatures rise.

14. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Many men no longer wear ties in business now, except when meeting clients. It makes me laugh when schools increasing demand so called business wear for teachers. They are so out of touch. My children's secondary does insist on suits and blazers, but once the temp rises jackets and ties can be removed.

15. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

It's just a business fad - they think it makes them look cool. My OH sometimes goes tieless for meetings.

16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Oh, yes. And I have the biceps (and a permanently shocked face) to prove it.

Elfie should go for a lightweight leather number in yellow or pink . . . . .something summery.

17. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

The idea of wearing heavy, itchy plaid fabric next to bare skin in this sweaty weather is bringing me out in a rash! Definitely don't go for a kilt. Perhaps more men should own a linen suit. Linen trousers are so comfortable when it is warm.

18. I cant help but smile at this....... I work in the tropics, so we are used to hot weather and have found a way to dress appropriately, but with dignity (Lets face it no-one wants to see teachers knickers, let alone other teachers). We have the opposite problem... its our winter time, so the temperature has dropped to a cool 27-29 oC (it can be as high as 37-40 in the summer) . All of our students turn up to school in hoodies and staff break out the cardigans..... Really??? :)

19. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

There's something quite sexy about a man in a suit, no tie and his top button undone.

20. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

As a 'lady of a certain age', I gave up wearing anything which exposed my arms years ago so your example and comment prove I have made the correct decision!!

Some of the females where I teach dress so inappropriately most of the time-lowish tops which look fine when standing up, but lean more than a few degrees from upright, and next week's washing is on show for all. Another 'look' is the tight, Lycra-type skirt without an underskirt. Sorry, just nothing left to the imagination and as for wearing plastic, beach flip flops......................................[​IMG]