1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I feel like I'm not doing enough work

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by rsc12, Oct 22, 2019.

1. rsc12

rsc12 New commenter

Hi everyone. I'm currently on my PGCE and doing placement at a really supportive school who have been nothing but welcoming. There are trainees from another uni in my school who seem to have endless paperwork to do and all I'm doing is my reflections and my folder. I've planned one lesson to teach after half term and the class teacher has approved it. My mentor meetings so far have gone brilliantly, he's told me to 'keep working as well as you are'.

The thing is, I was expecting to be sat at home doing endless paperwork, and -although I'm grateful for being able to go home, write the days reflections and then sleep- I feel like I'm possibly not showing enough initiative, or not doing my work properly. Does anyone have any advice for extra work I could be doing? Other than reading, I do that on my commute!

Sorry for the rambling post!

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

its early days, don't go looking for work, it will come to you

3. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

"One lesson to teach after half term" doesn' sound like enough - check with your provider that your timetable is preparing you appropriately and giving you a depth and breadth of experience to enable you to address the TS.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. 43Meadows

43Meadows New commenter

Sounds like you are organised and keeping your head above water, have you had any assignments to do? Got any due? Have any uni homework? I had a lot to do a few weeks ago doing plp etc but now it’s all done I just do the reflections on an evening and prep for next assignment, that’s it! Enjoy it while it lasts because after half term I am sure the workload will increase rapidly with lesson plans and reflections.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. StarbabyCat

StarbabyCat New commenter

I did my PGCE at a world-renowned provider and it was very light on paperwork. Paperwork does not equal thorough!

You're clearly doing well, if you are doing Masters credit essays you'll have more work at home when you've got a deadline, but otherwise I didn't find the PGCE heavy work load-wise. NQT year on the other hand!

6. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

There are some PGCE courses, like some schools, where the expected paperwork excessive and benefits noone.

It sounds as if things are progressing nicely, so I wouldn't be worried. Make sure you're thinking about collecting evidence for your teaching standards and are working to completing any assignments you need to do (I'm presuming your reading for these). If you need something else to do then you can always improve your subject knowledge in some areas and start to think about different ways in which you could help others learn it in ways that relate to the real world. The important thing to remember is to make sure you have a healthy work/life balance.

7. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

I’m feeling the same. I’m planning and teaching phonics and maths (early years) and doing tasks for my standards folder, I’ve handed in my first assignment so now I don’t have anything to do, although I’m sure it will step up. My course provider has said they are making an active point of reducing paper work each year so try to eliminate unnecessary admin. They also tailor the course so that those who have come into it with no experience are scaffolded more than those who have been a HLTA or instructor for many years.