1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I feel cheated

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Macbeth85, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,

I'm feeling a bit confused and down at the moment and wanted some advice. I did my PGCE last year and completed my training placement at a college where I now work. At the end of the training this job came up so I applied for it and had an interview like everyone else. My mentor at the time, who is also the manager, told me that they had chosen to give the job to someone else who had more experience but could offer me an hourly paid position instead.

This was the first job that I was offered so I just took it. But since working here I still have not met this other person that they gave the job to (I already know the teachers who work here) - I am the only new teacher for this subject. This got me thinking that they probably didn't employ anyone else for the annually paid position but just kept me and wanted to save money by offering me hourly pay. I wanted to ask my mentor but was afraid to.

I do so much work but only get paid for the teaching hours, it doesn't seem fair. I'm looking for other jobs elsewhere and thinking of leaving after Christmas. Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

2. Hi everyone,

I'm feeling a bit confused and down at the moment and wanted some advice. I did my PGCE last year and completed my training placement at a college where I now work. At the end of the training this job came up so I applied for it and had an interview like everyone else. My mentor at the time, who is also the manager, told me that they had chosen to give the job to someone else who had more experience but could offer me an hourly paid position instead.

This was the first job that I was offered so I just took it. But since working here I still have not met this other person that they gave the job to (I already know the teachers who work here) - I am the only new teacher for this subject. This got me thinking that they probably didn't employ anyone else for the annually paid position but just kept me and wanted to save money by offering me hourly pay. I wanted to ask my mentor but was afraid to.

I do so much work but only get paid for the teaching hours, it doesn't seem fair. I'm looking for other jobs elsewhere and thinking of leaving after Christmas. Has anyone else been in a similar situation?