1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I dropped out of teaching after six months - article

Discussion in 'Education news' started by FrankWolley, Mar 2, 2016.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...r-teachers-are-leaving-in-their-a6905346.html

After my own brief spell in the classroom, I know that teaching isn't for the faint-hearted. It’s rewarding, yes, but you need endless reserves of tenacity, stamina and vision – and that's before you even think of tackling the endless paperwork.

My experience has left me with a lifelong admiration for teachers and the sterling job they do. When the chips were down I couldn’t hack it as a teacher – and I suspect that most other people couldn’t either. It’s a shame we can’t appreciate their vital work more in light of that.

JL48 and cissy3 like this.
  2. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Interesting article.

I've picked a couple of other bits which resonated with me:

''The cold light of reality dawned when a down-to-earth lecturer asked how we'd react if our students texted, swigged alcohol, spat or worse in our lessons. Most of us looked completely stunned. Surely students didn't do things like that in class?''

''was stunned by the amount of planning involved in teaching. Every one-hour lesson took at least three hours to prepare. Every lesson plan had to be accompanied by written rationales for our teaching methods, while feedback on every lesson we taught had to be analysed.''

This is the reality of teaching in many schools, not just TT flim-flam.

FrankWolley likes this.