1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I drink too much.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Oct 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

There. I've said it. Making an appointment with GP on monday.
    Please wish me luck.

NikNak01, bevdex, eljefeb90 and 29 others like this.
  2. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Senior commenter

You've done two very brave things.

Please don't read that as condescending. Xxx

bevdex, nomad, Dragonlady30 and 10 others like this.
  3. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Thank you. dear flowers. Nizeman is getting worried and I don't want to hurt him.

nomad, artboyusa, Lara mfl 05 and 4 others like this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well done... and best of luck on monday...

emerald52, nomad, Jamvic and 5 others like this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I said the same thing 18 months ago. It had been building for years.

You're doing the sensible thing for a great reason. Keep posting and I'm pretty confident when I say that, if you need our help, you're going to get plenty! :)

You're on your way. Good on ya, baby!

bevdex, BelleDuJour, nomad and 9 others like this.
  6. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Good luck @nizebaby!
    My drinking has crept up too. If you need someone to join you in cutting down/stopping (whatever the doctor recommends) I’ll support you and be a buddy! X

bevdex, nomad, Jamvic and 12 others like this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You are doing the right thing - years ago I tried to persuade a good friend (not a teacher) that his drinking was getting seriously out of control and he needed to get some help.

He did nothing about it and shortly afterwards got a job in Germany. I lost touch with him after that but I later found out that he lost the job because of his drinking and had to return to the UK and start again. I do hope he eventually took the advice.

8. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

@nizebaby, you are doing the right thing. I feel for nizeman too - having lived with someone with this problem for many years, I know what it's like. You've taken a huge first step and, with support from your GP and partner, you will be able to do it. Good luck x

9. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Well done! You seem determined to take the bull by the horns. Good luck for Monday!

10. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Ah I agree with other comments that you are absolutely doing the right thing. Let us know how you get on.

11. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Wishing you luck. Well done.

12. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Nizebaby - you are an absolute star.

13. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

You are very brave to admit this. Well done. I guess you're halfway to sorting out your problem just by being aware. Good luck..and of course we will all be here for you.

Lara mfl 05 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Lead commenter

Well done, and good luck.

15. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Senior commenter

You've done the hardest thing by admitting it. . We are here for you as well, and I'm sure your GP will be supportive .
    Take care and well done :)

16. Lazycat

Lazycat Established commenter

Well done Nizebaby, what a brave admission. Good luck for Monday

17. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Well done owr wench. Likewise my drinking had increased since retiring (Never used to drink on a school night) so now have cut back significantly. Good luck. I have found substitutes that I enjoy like Dandelion and Burdock, cloudy lemonade, Tomato Juice. So when I feel like a beer I will pour one of these.

18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I suppose I'm grateful for the fact that I have never been able to drink. alcohol in any quantity. I can't process it so it just makes me very ill so I avoid it.

I've drunk a lot of Coca-Cola in pubs over the years.

19. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I'll join too!

20. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree you've taken the first brave step by admitting you have a problem.

A friend has run a local AA and Drugs Anonymous for many years, and I now a few people who help as ex-addicts turned sponsors. I think they all say the first hurdle is to admit the fact and then realise you never stop having a problem. It's one day at a time and learning to manage until it becomes automatic and even then being aware 'slipping off the wagon' may always be possible, so be aware and stay in contact with your sponsor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.