1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I dread guided Reading with Year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by youronlydoll, Oct 18, 2017.

1. youronlydoll

youronlydoll New commenter

Hello all,

I am hoping to spend some of this half term revising the way that I do guided reading with Year 1 at my school. At the moment it feels like a frantic mission to get resources ready for a 20-30minute period in the day, desperately hoping that the children will complete tasks independently while I listen to a group read.

My school has no fixed scheme and I started this year by doing a whole class read and then tasks based on that book. I don't find that guided reading interests the children and it feels like you give them a task to complete as a filler activity. I have no TA so groups have to work independently if I'm going to get the best chance of reading with a group.

Can anyone advise me on a less stressful, more engaging and ultimately EFFECTIVE way of doing guided reading with Year 1??

Thanks.

2. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

If you have no scheme to work to it seems you should be able to design one that works for you. I would instigate a word/picture matching treasure hunt where you pin flash cards to a board and 'hide' pictures around the class. The children find the pictures and put them next to the correct word. If a child does not know the word a friend that does helps out.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

When I did Guided Reading (though I was never a fan of it) I didn't actually sit down and read with a group.

Can't remember where I found the technique but basically the group who had a specific text to read, read 'silently 'in their heads'. Then if I touched them on the shoulder they immediately started reading from where they were. Then when I felt I'd heard enough and they were doing well I touched them on the shoulder again and they 'reverted to 'silent reading'. So one could 'adjust the timing one listened to the children read individually and still wander off to other groups if necessary.
    Needs a lot of training to get it to run smoothly but certainly I found that much easier to manage and allow more time to listen to 'priority pupils' than the traditional reading a sentence at a time round the group and helped the 'less confident readers' as they weren't directly 'reading in front of others'.

Considering it's Year 1 a good suggestion by @neddyfonk there. :)

delmamerchant likes this.
  4. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Reading round the group is not generally considered good practise for guided reading anyway. The more common model for KS2 would be reading silently by themselves one day, then the 'reading with the adult' session is discussion, not actual reading of text. Upper KS2 certainly don't need to be supervised by and adult while they read, nor heard read out loud in most cases.

Anyway, I digress, because I wouldn't suggest either model above for Year 1. They can't read it n their heads yet (mostly), and expecting them to read something independently and then discuss it the following day might be a bit much!! A lot of schools are ditching the carousel model for precisely the reasons the OP mentions - a lot of activities are fillers, it's a nightmare to organise etc etc. Personally, I'd do whole class reading lessons, all based on the same book, to develop reading comprehension, plus phonics and individual reading for decoding.

I detest guided reading carousels.

Alice K and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Which is why on moving into an Independent School it was a relief not to have to do them.;)

drvs likes this.
  6. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

Many people don't do a carousel in mainstream.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Good advice.

Me too. How many hours must be wasted across the year on this lunacy...?

8. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I was forced to do it last year, for 1/2 hour a day. Each child had 30 mins of great teaching from me each week, and 2 hours of solidly being ignored. Plus, in KS2 even planning the teacher led group took hours, as there were 5 books to read. Then there was all the nonsense filler activities for the ignorees.

I have also joined the independent sector and no longer teach guided reading, it's fantastic!!!

Alice K and Lara mfl 05 like this.