1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I don't want to teach any more. Please help me!

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by vodkamartini, May 1, 2011.

1. I have been in teaching for nearly 20 years and am currently a full time Y1and EYFS teacher. I am absolutely at the end of my tether. I have four young children, a husband who works away, a mortgage........ I am unable to switch off from teaching, it doesn't just consume my every waking moment but I have nightmares too. Our school got a satisfactory in Ofsted last year and we are on paper work overload. I truly cannot cope anymore and desperately want to give up teaching. I feel sick every morning. I don't spend enough time with my four wonderful children, I am a mess. I'd love a career change but after 20 years I am at a loss. I can't write any more because I feel I may just crumble away. Has anyone got any advice?

2. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

what about a career in childcare so you can still be with your own children maybe?

3. Hi, it made me really sad to see your post as far too many teachers are feeling this way. Rather than too much of an abrupt change at first, would it be possible to go part-time? This would free you up to spend more time with your children. It's not always an option, money-wise, or the school might not be able to accommodate this.
    As already suggested, childcare - but look at some local nurseries. What about becoming a childminder while your children are small? You could then go back into teaching at a later date.
    Whatever you do, good luck. [​IMG]

4. It sounds as if your health is starting to suffer from this stress and something has to give. I would go and see your Head and explain your situation and request a working situation which would be better for you e.g. working 3 days. This may not be possible immediately (or at all) but the Head owes you a duty of care and at the very least could review the paperwork overload.
    You probably feel guilty about everything because that's what mothers and teachers do! Is there anyway of your husband reducing his time away even just in the short term to give you some help while you are feeling so low?
    Doing something proactive or having a plan should help.
    I hope you find a solution.

5. I completely understand how your are feeling because I was struggling with all of the same problems....particularly the nightmares. I could not sleep. I was sick all the time - caught every bug in my classroom from flu to strep throat - you name it. I was living with a constant sinus infection. It got so bad that my doctor told me I had to stay home for a bit.....that was two and half years ago and I cannot believe my improvement. I love teaching. I miss the kids terribly but I have not been on antibiotics since I stopped teaching. My anxiety and eventual depression was over the top....thank goodness I had a good doctor. I eventually had the luxury of seeing a wonderful psychologist who has helped me work through the entire process....and it has been a long process. I did not want to take prescription medication and I am happy to say that I am finally on the mend. Teaching is so hard. I was so discouraged. I can't believe the bad press and the lack of understanding - the kids are the ones who are suffering and teachers like me who find the whole thing impossible to live with. I was a great teacher and I had a very creative and busy mind - finally I am feeling more like myself. Look after yourself - your family is all you have. Take care.

6. flapfish

flapfish New commenter

So sorry you feel like that. Is there any chance of you going part time? I did that because I have a complicated child and was getting very stressed. It has made a huge difference - I can think about things again! Look seriously at what you could manage on financially. Full time has hidden costs that you can do something about when you are part time (less workl clothes, cooking from scratch, bargain hunting etc. My children were dressed from charity shops for years and don't seem any the worse for it. It has meant that I have started to enjoy work again and feel like I can do it properly. Part time teaching pays as much as full time childminding, so think about it seriously. I hope you reach a happy decision that benefits you and your family.