1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

I don’t want to go back....

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Grandsire, Jan 6, 2019.

1. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Hope you're having a good week.

Curae and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  2. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

Oh, you are all lovely!

Well, I didn’t have a great start to the week (a serious problem erupted almost immediately, and is still rumbling on) and today all the stresses of last term that I tried to put out of my mind over the holidays have re-surfaced through reminder emails asking me to show I’m taking action over stuff. I feel I’m being manipulated, pressured and watched all the time.

On the plus side, the children are lovely and I’m enjoying the lessons I’m teaching, but I’m finding it hard to summon up any enthusiasm for anything else. Really, there’s not much joy in being at work. At times I feel I could just walk out of the job right now except for the fact I have nothing else to go to.

I am hanging on for the weekend - just one more day - and hoping that next week I will feel better.

3. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

You sound just like me. I am very part time now, but need to earn some kind of money, so keep teaching. The school is in RI, so there is constant scrutiny, with a different agenda every time.

I really didn't want to go back to work after the break, but I have no choice. LIke you, there are constant chess moves being made to force me out. Forever being asked for "action plans" with specific timed targets. Most of my peers who used to be in the school have been forced out too, replaced by cheap youngie cannon fodder, so I tend to skip the staffroom, and then get labelled as 'antisocial'. Um, you gave me so much bloody paperwork to do, I barely have time for a sandwich and a wee, never mind a sitdown and a chat.

So, I just pitch up and do my hours, park near the front door and sneak in and out of the building whenever possible. I even took my mug home at Christmas, maybe that was a sign. I reckon I could earn the same at LIDL, when I count up all the extra hours spent in planning and marking etc.

I have been in touch with the Union, because of the pressure, etc. The Union lady said, "What do you think SLT want?" I said, "Well, clearly, they want me to resign." Then she said, "So... are you going to give them what they want, or not?" NOT. NOT. NOT. Keep fighting on, resist the temptation to pack it all in, not till you've had your 6 months sick leave.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Keep hanging in on in there Grandsire.
    As I've said to a colleague in a similar position, take it one week at a time. Every week consider how many weeks out of the 39 you're through and manage it on a week-by-week basis.

5. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

Thank you, both. Lardylegs, you do sound like me! I’ve even started bringing my stuff home too. I’d have brought more today but I didn’t have a box to put it in.

You know, I hate the fact I’ve become one of those people for whom it’ll be ‘just a job’ because it’s always been so much more than that, and I never minded the time it took or the energy it took, or even using my own things for school because it was always such fun and I felt appreciated and respected, and there was a strong sense of friendship in the place.

But you’ve reminded me that I’ve said before that I’ll not let them push me out easily. I’ll struggle through another week, and another. Good advice, thank you. Exactly what I needed this evening.

6. opalfeet

opalfeet Occasional commenter

Hi Grandsire I am going through much the same.. a teacher of 15 years and always had outstanding results. I know exactly how you feel. Close the staffroom door and leave everything at work. Its hard to do I know, I tried to do that today and now I can't sleep. But, I'm learning to and I will get there. It's quite sad what has happened to our profession and our slt don't give a sh*t

7. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

At the moment, I'm managing on a day by day basis! I was on a (surprisingly good) course on Tuesday and was feeling positive and upbeat then made the mistake of checking my work emails when I got home. More demands but no extra time to get the work done. I actually felt jealous of a colleague who will be off in a week's time to have knee surgery- how pathetic is that!!

lardylegs, agathamorse, Curae and 2 others like this.
  8. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I wonder how many don’t!

9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Is a 'sitdown' a euphemism for a big jobbie in this context?

lardylegs, Sinnamon and lardylady like this.
  10. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Antisocial? I always dreamed of being labelled antisocial when I was a teacher so work colleagues would stop collaring me and offloading all their anguish and woe regarding their work and personal lives. I always nodded and pretended I was interested and made the appropriate soothing noises but in reality I couldn't give a sh *t. I had enough of my own problems to worry about.

d_fahey and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

You both sound like I did before leaving and you do need to look after yourself because no one else will do. I too started taking things home. I even packed my boot up before going to my last meeting because I knew I wouldn't be returning. I had a big op in the year before I left and was due to have keyhole with 4-6 weeks off. The was a small possibility ofit being a bigger open op with 3 months off. Despite it being an awful op, I prayed for the bigger op just so I could be off school for longer. That isnt healthy.

12. d_fahey

d_fahey New commenter

Took all my stuff home the moment a teaching and learning development plan was mentioned. 12 years in that school, teaching for 28 years. Yep, almost 50 and UPS. Took 2 weeks wrs, that's all. National scandal. Now a TA and supply teacher, no stress. I feel so sorry for the teachers I support now, and do all I can to help them. The profession has changed from a caring and supportive, to a business, with a dog eat dog ethos. My own teenage kids feel sorry for their teachers!!!

13. Foux da fa fa

Foux da fa fa New commenter

I just can’t get over how similar all of these posts are. I felt worried about being identified by my school. On reflection, it would be impossible to know who I was as there are so many posts stating the same bullying tactics. My teaching and learning plan is bizarre. I’ve enjoyed letting as many colleagues know too - just to see their priceless reactions. Without fail, each colleague has had the same reaction.