1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

I don’t want to go back....

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Grandsire, Jan 6, 2019.

1. afterdark

afterdark Occasional commenter

regarding posts 1,2 & 6.

Schools can and do change. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for worse.
    It sounds like your school has changed.
    You are now no longer a good fit.
    Inertia still has hold of you but part of you now knows that you want to leave.

You may be ready to take the plunge. Looking for a exit? Look for a new job.
    Brush up your CV, look at all your successes "blow your own trumpet".
    If you are older/ more expensive, consider working in warmer/sunnier countries. Or even colder ones, some offer more money. ;)

In the past I have had A level students come running up crying when I have left schools wailing about losing their "best teacher".
    The flip side is, all our students always leave, every year.

They will survive your leaving and more importantly you will just be "keeping your head down" and surviving.

As one door closes another opens so 'they' say. I have found this to be very true.
    Good luck.

2. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

If it’s any consolation - and it really saddens me to accept that it probably isn’t- you sound like a lovely, bright, intelligent man who has certainly affected many young lives for the good over a long and selfless career. I’d have love to have had a colleague like yourself to banter with as yet another howler from management, school exam scripts and student fashion choices emerged. I did used to have colleagues like you! It is education’s loss. The entire value system has changed for the worse. Maybe be relieved that you DO regret this ideological shift, because it proves that you still hold decent values whereas the Lanyard Lot do not?:)

Curae, Grandsire and agathamorse like this.
  3. Mrsmumbles

And thanks for sticking it that long. Respect! We live in the era of the ‘Teach/pay off Uni debt First’ two-years-tops teacher now...

agathamorse and Shedman like this.
  4. Mrsmumbles

Your mum is spot on with her assessment, by the way. I started in 1996 and SAW this mess unfold... the credit crunch certainly impacted on my school’s culture. It becane a case of one moronic swaggering Goldman Sachs emigre after another at our place..I watched them become deputy heads and heads...staggeringly cut throat, pushy..and thick.

5. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

Yes, me too. I try to keep the peace with all sides of the warring factions that we seem to have in our school but it doesn't wash. Last term I was accused of being too nice to everyone.

Yes, I am desperately worried for my 13 and 12 year old sons whose school seems to be shedding teachers left right and centre. They just disappear overnight and core subjects now have a never-ending succession of cover teachers.

6. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

And core subjects being taught by teaching assistants albeit to smaller groups of L.A. as is the case where I am. Wish I had a way of letting their parents know.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

You sound exactly like the kind of teacher we need more of in my school. Everyone where I work seems desperate to get out of the classroom and earn more by telling the rest of us what we’re doing wrong.

For me, it’s only the children I’m going back for - that’s the only part of the job that’s enjoyable right now. A student told me recently that I seem happier when I’m in my classroom than when I’m out and about the rest of the school. I’ve thought about that a lot, because it’s true. My classroom is where the fun stuff happens, and the rest of the school is where the moaning and back-stabbing goes on. I just hadn’t noticed my changing behaviour myself.

The real problem is that ‘just’ being a teacher isn’t enough any longer. After all, cheap TAs deliver more lessons than teachers in some classes around school now. Who needs my expensive skills, then? I’m not even bringing in ‘additional revenue’ by becoming a part-time advisor or moderator. I’m fairly sure my HT thinks I’m a failure because I don’t seek fame and glory by climbing the promotion pole. But I just want to teach.

8. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Perhaps look at an independent school - smaller classes, usually friendly and good teachers are valued!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. Mrsmumbles

Thing is, independent schools vary and a lot of their Heads embraced the changes with glee. The smaller better ones did not. I’m no longer willing to work stupid hours and risk health for an employer who could quickly turn the knife on me, or the job after that, etc. Of course it isn’t reall6 businesslike, is it? It’s utterly cruel, unprofessional and the employement law changes ought to be. I blame much of it on Gove and that Brexit-birthing scrotum Cummings, who was education advisor to Gove during this period of the credit crunch. Another fine mess they caused!

10. Mrsmumbles

Haha! Psycho manger 5 also accused me of being ‘too nice!’ Hilarious...obviously they attended the same edu bullies inset!

agathamorse likes this.
  11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

@Grandsire

Don't you DARE leave those kids. I'd normally tell people to just duck it and walk away but I haven't met most people on here. Whereas you I HAVE met.

You're special. Stick at it if you possibly can. You're right. Anyone who doesn't agree with you is wrong and not fit to wipe your boots when it comes to what counts: teaching kids and getting them to enjoy and achieve. I'm damned sure you tick all those boxes and it'll be a sad day if you bow out now.

Curae, chelsea2, Grandsire and 3 others like this.
  12. Mrsmumbles

Yes of course it would be a sad day, but Grandsire’s health and sanity takes priority. Over everything else. Even the kids. They tend to not visit teachers in hospital; many hardly notice they’ve left?

13. EvaAeri

EvaAeri New commenter

I'll make myself unpopular to some and will advise you to hand in your resignation. It is not only about the kids- if the kids do not respect you, you are being micromanaged, or you feel like you have lost the trust and autonomy which should come with teaching, then it is time to work somewhere else. There are other options from tutoring to policy research to civil service to instructional design. In the end, if you loose your health, most of those children will not even write you a card and the SLT will welcome you with an invitation to a disciplinary meeting. There is the whole new world out there where you do not have to cry and have a panic attack before you go to work. I left an awful school and never looked back.

14. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I'm leaving this year.
    I know it is the right thing to do.
    Saw and ad recently for a p/t jon in a lovely indie. A year or two ago I'd have been typing out my application in a flash. But I looked at it and thought..............I just don't want to do this anymore.

15. moose2

moose2 New commenter

You said that last year as well!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I did..............but I got offered p/t A level close to home.
    I like A level and the money is helping towards my daughter's wedding. That's why I took it.
    It's all the dross I hate............and even teaching just A level I have to put up with all the dross.

17. moose2

moose2 New commenter

I agree about the dross. I don't miss it at all, the 'enjoyable' parts of teaching weren't enough for me in the end.

lardylegs and agathamorse like this.
  18. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

This is what I call strong support from one fellow TESSER to another. Keep strong and listen. Many thanks to GDW ...always so inspirational so wonderful and much needed.

Mrsmumbles, lardylegs and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  19. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Grandshire ...just checking to see how you are. Offerring my shoulders hands and heart and like others on here always ready to listen.
    (((((((((())))))))))
    Curae

20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I wonder how many teachers feel like that on a Sunday evening ?

Curae, Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.