1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I don’t want to go back....

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Grandsire, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

I’ve always enjoyed my job. But after all the unpleasantness last term, I just don’t feel any spark about the new term. Isn’t that sad?

steely1, Curae, Shedman and 4 others like this.
  2. Grandsire

I’m dreading the atmosphere - the cliques and the back-stabbing particularly, and the pressure to get results without support for those who need it. Keeping my head down to avoid conflict has me accused of being antisocial.

After two decades of feeling valued for the job I do, and happy to go beyond the job description, I’m suddenly feeling bland and disinterested, and pessimistic about what lies ahead.

Being with the children again is the only thing about going back I feel good about. Anyone else feeling the same?

3. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Yes, I’m so sorry to read this. It’s the end of an era, I’m afraid. Just feel proud of all the huge achievements you made over the broad range of your time in teaching and look forward to your Great Escape! Since I left, the staff turnover has become ridicipulius and see the hamster wheel life I lived there for what it really was. I made an ungrateful, empathy-devoid and exploitative employer my second home and I gave up far too many years to that job. This was a huge mistake, as it was a great job for years but, as with you, it suddenly all worsened. So I left. Now students see me privately for tuition and I’m setting other businesses too. Just plan ahead, pay down as many debts as you can and if you can afford to retire or retrain, I’d go for it. Doesn’t mean you’d no longer be active or productive...quite the reverse!

4. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Yes, it is sad. I'm sorry to read that you're dreading the atmosphere and cliques. I've encountered those - they're pathetic and childish, but becoming ever-more common in the teaching profession. I suppose the cliquey types feel safe amongst their fellow thinkers.

Smile, look happy, keep your powder dry and look for an exit. Good luck and best wishes for 2019. Teaching isn't what it used to be.

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Sorry you feel like that.
    Maybe you need a change of scene. Maybe you need to change the way you look at school and life.
    At the start of January, the days are short and the evenings long dark and cold.
    There's a lot of school year ahead, with the promise of a fair amount of report writing, parent interviews, demands for progress, kids suffering from SAD, teachers suffering from SAD, as well as the psychological slump after the lights and festivities of Christmas.
    But the evenings will (slowly) get lighter, the children will brighten and lighten up.
    Maybe you need to set some time aside for yourself - join a club or organisation doing something new. Find a point in the weekend when you treat yourself somewhere outside the home, a pint at the pub or a mug in the coffee shop, a park run, 10 lengths at the swimming pool, take a photo of the same view every weekend for 6 months and see how it changes, join a choir or the photo club.
    The people at school are cliquey and backstabbing because that's their only world, Game of Chairs in the Staffroom instead of Game of Thrones.
    You're above all that: go and bestride the real world or at least 2 tables in your local coffee shop.

6. Grandsire

Thank you, all.

Yes, it’s probably not helped by the darkness and cold, but there’s a real sense of sadness within me that a school which cherished diversity, kindness and commitment has become a mundane treadmill of negativity and spite.

I wish my SLT had your wisdom to see how things really are, but they’re very much the problem.

I’ve recently begun trying other avenues of income and will gradually build on these in the next couple of years - so yes, my get-out plan has already begun!

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

So sad to hear that Grandsire. rosie has some good advice and just seen you've got your 'get-out' planning started.

Curae, agathamorse, Jamvic and 2 others like this.
  8. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I could have written this. Teaching used to be a noble calling, but the bean-counters and box tickers have ruined it.

9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Not now because I'm retired but for my last couple of years of teaching, my wife would drop me off at school so she could have the car for the day and I'd sit there for about 5 minutes willing myself to get out of the car and into school with that sicky feeling in the stomach and the adrenaline surging in a fight or flight response.

10. Foux da fa fa

Foux da fa fa New commenter

I feel exactly the same.

11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Oh @Grandsire

This is such bad news. I'm pretty sure you're one of the top-top teachers whom kids like my grandchildren so badly need! This is grim tidings indeed.

You must do what's best for you and don't take this as me trying to guilt you into staying. But I'm truly sorry to hear this.

chelsea2, Grandsire, Curae and 3 others like this.
  12. Dorsetdreams

Dorsetdreams Occasional commenter

You can live with that. I do. With so much toxicity in schools it is the best policy. Work through breaks and lunch to keep weekends work-free, take up activities which make up for the lack of social interaction in school.

13. annie2010

annie2010 Occasional commenter

Glad I'm not the only'mature' teacher who feels disillusioned with a job I used to love.
    Planning g my exit a.s.a.p.

14. skellig1182

skellig1182 Occasional commenter

I’m 36 and been teaching 11 years. Thus academic year as leached me if my passion. I was the sort of person who would spend £700 a year on making the classroom provision wonderful.
    My mum has just retired from an English teacher and year head at secondary and she always told me not to go into teaching. I didn’t listen. My whole life has been consumed by the worries of slt and their desperation for outstanding. I’m due a baby in June and will not go back to the same life after. I’m done at 36. It’s sad because I’m a very good teacher but can’t stand the pressure anymore. I’m leaving for that very reason. I don’t want to be a sheep anymore. At least I’ve got some time to enjoy my life now!xxx

15. skellig1182

Sorry won’t let me edit or correct :D

lardylegs likes this.
  16. IanG

IanG New commenter

If you haven't already, get involved in exam marking... I progressed from initially just exam marking to writing text books, scrutineering exam papers, training and much more through one of the exam boards. Not exactly UPS salary BUT a pretty good living.

Wish you luck.

17. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

More importantly, to enjoy doing one of the most important jobs in the world - being a Mum.

Though I imagine tinged with poignancy, as you realise that in 5 years time, when that child enters school, that many more good teachers will have elected to walk out of the profession.:(

18. skellig1182

I know. It makes me upset and angry. I’ve had 3 good friends leave the profession. One had become a head teacher but she became disillusioned with everything.

My mum was saying she thinks that after the credit crunch, when they started to employ teach first/schools direct etc, they changed the ball game. I had only just started so didn’t notice any difference. She said all of a sudden it became competitive with a new “do more” culture and bankers fleeing from the city wanting to jump through hoops and work their way up to senior leadership and beyond within 2 years. The profession changed. It became more business like.

I don’t know how much of this is true but it does make sense. It did change around that time. I’ve seen many who train on the job, planning leadership before even starting their nqt year. How do you compete? All I want to do is teach and provide a lovely environment for the children. I don’t want brownie points or a title. But if you don’t then there is something wrong with you. You appear lazy if you want to leave at 17:00 and go and get your haircut!

Hey, I’m going to be ‘that’ annoying parent one day aren’t I? My children’s teachers will say “oh she used to be a teacher, watch out for her” :D :D lol.

I’m still open to trying something else. Perhaps working in a private school. I have heard many good things from experienced people on here. Who knows:eek:)

xxx

19. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Both you and your family will not regret the decision.

20. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I'm off this year.
    Love my A level teaching ...................which is what I mostly do...........but hate the rest.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.