1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I don't want to complete my NQT year

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by begu312, Sep 10, 2015.

1. So I began working straight away the moment I completed my degree. I gained a permanent position through a teaching agency at a primary school willing to support me during my NQT year. However since starting in June I have been truly miserable. I worked for the school from June until they broke up for summer holidays and have just returned to start my NQT year.

I am positive this career is not for me, it's not the school, the staff or the children. I get a lot of support, help and guidance and I am eternally grateful for that...but I am majorly unhappy. I just do not like teaching, I have completely picked the wrong career for me. I don't think I'm a bad teacher as I gained a 2:1 for my degree and from day one have constantly impressed the teachers at my school. Nonetheless the job is affecting my health, I'm always stressed, I feel seriously depressed and this morning on my way to school I crashed my car. I'm worried continuing my NQT year will seriously damage my well-being. But I don't know what to do...

My mum is a single mum and works full time and has done for the past 15 years to make sure we can survive. She needs my help and teaching offered me a great salary. I was thinking of doing supply work whilst I figured out what I wanted to do with my life, but I'm worried about how to break it to the school. I don't know how to go about even resigning, I'm so sick with worry.

Has anyone else ever dropped out of their NQT year? Will this jeopardise any chances of me coming back to teaching? Can I still complete my NQT year later if I want to?

And please hold off on the comments about how it'll get easier and i should stick it out because honestly I don't want to be a teacher. I completed a 3 year undergraduate Initial Teacher Education degree and throughout all 3 of my teaching placements, I felt the exact same way...I did not want to be there. I'm just so stressed and sick with worry about money and damaging my reputation and chances of getting back into education someday if that's what I desire.

Any advice?

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Not sure that I agree that teaching offers a great salary.

Not sure that you are thinking things through if you are thinking of supply or wanting to go back into teaching in the future. There may or may not be work in supply - not being qualified may affect this and the pay is usually a lot less. If you want or might want to go back in the future then you really do want to complete your NQT year.

If you are thinking of a different career, then decide and go for it. Or find a job to pay whilst you do.

Good luck, with whatever you decide.

3. Thank you for your response, can you suggest any other career routes someone with a degree in teaching could uptake?

4. rustyfeathers

rustyfeathers Occasional commenter

"Has anyone else ever dropped out of their NQT year?"

Yes. Did two terms, then left. Took a couple of months off and regained health then was found my a wonderful supply agency.

"Will this jeopardise any chances of me coming back to teaching?"

Possibly. I found it hard to find a new post. My agency were very supportive but others weren't. I'm now in a permanent post, NOT in mainstream, and I love it. It took a while and a few gambles to get to that point.

"Can I still complete my NQT year later if I want to?"

Yes. There is a time limit - a search on here will help.

5. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

You seem all in a muddle and need to decide where exactly you are going.

You say you don't want to hear anyone say it will get better. For the benefit of others reading this I am. Whether or not that matters to you is another issue. One that you have to sort out in your own head.

Why you completed the degree seems a bit strange for me. If you had been unsure why didn't you change to a standard BA or BSc and leave open the possibility of a PGCE if you felt sure? This is the problem with BEd for me. It ropes in people who are often too young to make definite choices about their career.

You talk about dropping out. What you mean is hand in your notice. You are talking about this as a course and not as a job. Unless there is something else in your contract you are free to leave normally by the end of december iif you hand in your notice before the end of oct.

Good luck.

6. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Firstly do not make any decision until you have really thought it all through.

How much of how you are feeing are caused by stress from recent events such as the car prang?

See your doctor to get help.

The NQT year is stressful but achievable. Yes you can leave the post but you are in a supportive school why not try and complete the induction then you would not have any restrictions over your employment and schools not have to provide mentors and release time- both very expensive for temporary staff!

If you did supply work this would not be less stressful - more likely to be more stressful as the support and regularity would be missing.

There is a time limit of 5 years from QTS date for supply work that does not contribute to induction and this cannot be renewed.