1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I don't want to be constantly asked why I'm not wearing a mask

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Happilyeverafterfinally, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Happilyeverafterfinally

Happilyeverafterfinally New commenter

I'm a student in college. I have a genuine reason why I can't wear a mask. Our college has purple lanyards for anyone who can't wear a mask. I wear the lanyard but when walking around college staff still ask "where is your mask?" "Why are you not wearing a mask?".

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

What is the reason?

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Are you sure you can't wear a face covering? It does not have to be a mask, a scarf or snood will meet the requirement. Or even get one of those transparent face shields?

4. Happilyeverafterfinally

Doesn't need to be disclosed online, thank you.

5. DrLinus

DrLinus Lead commenter

Jiggle your lanyard at them.
    I would.

6. Happilyeverafterfinally

I just point to it/wave it

claret09 and agathamorse like this.
  7. Happilyeverafterfinally

The point isn't whether or not I can wear a mask.

claret09 and agathamorse like this.
  8. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Try wearing a sandwich board that says you have a genuine reason for not wearing a mask and don't want to be asked why you aren't wearing a mask.

9. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...g-aerosols-japanese-supercomputer-coronavirus

Plastic face shields are almost totally ineffective at trapping respiratory aerosols, according to modelling in Japan, casting doubt on their effectiveness in preventing the spread of coronavirus.

A simulation using Fugaku, the world’s fastest supercomputer, found that almost 100% of airborne droplets of less than 5 micrometres in size escaped through plastic visors of the kind often used by people working in service industries.

There seems to be a misconception that a face shield will help reduce the spread of coronavirus in the same way that a face mask will. It isn't uncommon to see people wearing them whilst shopping, because the government says we must wear a face covering, without explaining what's actually required.

Face shields are worn by medical professionals to protect them from being contaminated by their patients' bodily fluids, for example if a patient is coughing while a procedure is being undertaken. Face masks are worn to prevent transmission of germs from the medical worker to the patient. Health workers wear both a face mask and a face shield.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  10. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

Poor you.

I can't see any other reason for this thread.

11. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I find that in life generally siht happens so it is best not to blow minor irritations out of all proportion.

12. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Report any staff that ask you. They should know the meaning of the purple lanyard. The management should have disseminated the information to all staff, who should know what it means.

claret09, agathamorse and bonxie like this.
  13. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Everyone who makes a fuss about their 'rights' when asked to wear a face mask or simply refuses to wear one, makes life more difficult for the OP and others with genuine reasons.

annie2010, bonxie, ilovesooty and 4 others like this.
  14. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Off with their goolies.

blazer and nomad like this.
  15. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Off with yours.

16. nomad

nomad Star commenter

'Cannot wear a mask' I can understand.

'Cannot wear any form of face covering' I don't believe.

17. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Everyone CAN wear a mask or face covering.
    Some people find it heightens their anxiety levels which in turn can exacerbate some physical conditions such as asthma.
    Some people just find they get panicky if they wear a mask.
    Some people like to feel special, and some are just bolshie and don't like being 'dictated to' or 'having their freedoms taken away'.
    There ARE ways to manage the genuione reasons but it takes work.
    https://creakyjoints.org/living-wit...ulty-breathing-face-mask-asthma-lung-disease/
    https://www.bupa.co.uk/newsroom/ourviews/face-mask-anxiety
    https://www.mind.org.uk/information...ask-anxiety-face-coverings-and-mental-health/
    I have clients who 'can't wear a mask' because... However, SOME of them realise that wearing a lanyard won't protect them (and even more so won't protect anyone else FROM them) when it comes to Covid. So they work to find ways to manage whatever the problem is around using a face covering.

18. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Report your concerns about the breaches of your student human rights to the NUS Student Council who can send an email to the College Principal. She will then discipline the staff concerned for breaching the equality and diversity policy..

agathamorse likes this.
  19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

May I ask why the OP thinks that posting the problem on an internet forum is going to change anything?

Surely some direct contact with college management about staff recognising purple lanyards would be more productive.

I mean you're free to sound off if you like, but wouldn't it be more helpful to say "This was the problem I had and here's the solution I came to, in case anyone else is experiencing the same."

20. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

Victimism and a need for sympathy.

The easiest way to stop being asked why youre not wearing a face covering is to find one which you CAN wear.

21. Caligraphy

Caligraphy Occasional commenter

Ok. So you can't be wearing a mask. I get that. I don't care one way or the other what your reasons are, but I hope you haven't come on TEACHERS forum to hammer them. They are busy, probably anxious and extremely worried about their students, their family and last of all, as most teachers I know will be, for themselves. So forgive them- checking your purple lanyard is not top of their priorities. Just politely draw their attention to it and move on. In every way.

coffeekid, blazer, ilovesooty and 6 others like this.