1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'I don't want a permanent role for the sake of my mental health and the good of my children'

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Morninglover, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yeah shared that story on my FB, got a lot of likes.

I'm seeing supply agencies and they ask, 'do you want a permanent post?' and I'm saying 'No, not yet'.

jomaimai, Didactylos4 and snowyhead like this.
  3. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

@lanokia you need time to make a decision about your long term plans - don't blame you for not wanting to jump out of frying pan into the fire. A permanent post can seem attractive when you think about the financial gains. From the position you hold at the moment you'll be able to weigh up the pros and cons from a different perspective than the one you had many years ago.

badger_girl likes this.
  4. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I completely understand his reasoning.
    I've gone a step further now and have abandoned real teaching (supply or otherwise) for what is now classed as "training" and am currently working for the govt where oddly both my teaching abilities and my forcibly developed data gathering/organisational skills are the exception rather than the norm (and are appreciated).
    The pay isn't nearly as good but the job satisfaction is way better because I am allowed to just do what I'm good at.
    It probably won't last because OFSTED will undoubtedly try to get this type of work covered within their ever-expanding remit but for now I'll enjoy it whilst I can

5. Morninglover

I found that fixed term contracts of no more than 1 year give the best of both worlds - not long enough to get caught up with PM etc., but long enough to get some security, and pay for some holidays (all if lucky - e.g. starting mid-year)

6. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

You were lucky to come out unscathed @FolkFan. The Education Act makes it statutory for schools to include teachers employed for one term or more to be part of PM cycle - even if you join after the most recent PM cycle, heads can use their discretion when to appraise performance.

7. Twinklefoottoe

Twinklefoottoe Senior commenter

For the first time in many, many years, I'm excited about being in the classroom! Why? Because I've resigned my permanent Computer Science / ICT job, with its soul destroying workload, endless utterly meaningless data collection tasks, the every-judgement-must-have-written-evidence regime, constant scrutiny, constant challenging of what I teach and how I teach it, the extreme 'you can always get better in the future' attitude that never lets me concentrate on the now, the dreadful behaviour of secondary students that saps the lifeblood from your veins over time, an anonymous SLT who do so very little that adds to my teaching or the students' learning, who think that learning walks, checking my books weekly and demanding ever-more meetings and minutes is a professional job that somehow drives up standards, justifies their £60k+ salary and the light stress-free teaching timetable, the same SLT that insists on putting on the most inane INSET sessions to improve teaching but cannot understand that getting behaviour right across the school first is the prerequisite for any improved teaching and learning.

After much research, I'll be joining supply for the golden years of my career. At a time when my experience should count for everything in helping my school move forward, I no longer have the stomach for it full-time.

8. Morninglover

Well I retired over 2 years ago so maybe things were different, but I was - of course - observed (no problem with that) and did complete totally irrelevant paperwork in some schools, but they knew, and I knew, that if they messed me around I could simply walk. No real chance to collect 'evidence' from exam classes (the staple of my timetable in most places) too, until after I had left.

snowyhead likes this.
  9. blueskies31

blueskies31 Occasional commenter

Didactolys4 - Can I ask you what you're doing? I'm currently job hunting and interested in other avenues!

10. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Currently I'm mostly working as "digital support" staff for Job Centre Plus.
    Basically helping people cope with the dubious govt computer systems when using govt access devices or connecting and using their own. My IT skills aren't particularly strong compared to some ex-colleagues but they really don't need to be for the work I am doing
    Not roles that are usually advertised and something I fell into rather than applying for.
    I'm also working elsewhere providing similar support and "functional skills" in other areas as an independent (rather than employed through one of the training agencies.)

snowyhead likes this.
  11. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Agreed. Plus it's the best free INSET ever and shows you so much about the nature of staffing, management, and school ideologies.

drek likes this.