1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I don't understand some people... animal cruelty story

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Nov 25, 2015.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/11/24/teenagers-puppy-fire-torture-rspca_n_8641700.html

A puppy was stolen by a group of teenagers then tortured for hours and set on fire in what RSPCA inspectors have called the "most disturbing" case of animal cruelty they have ever seen.

Chunky, a chihuahua cross, was taken from his owner and subjected to the horrific ordeal, during which time his neck was broken and face set alight.

Less than one year old at the time, Chunky was also fed drugs before being thrown in a rubbish tip and left for dead in Margate, Kent.

[​IMG]

The four teenagers responsible have been disqualified from keeping animals for five years and have been ordered to pay costs.

Really, that's it? Banned from animals for 5 years and paid the court costs?

I'm not sure what I think a suitable punishment is but that seems light.

kent1 likes this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

This is the little guy now...

[​IMG]

3. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Even for Margate this is pretty awful....

Not sure what punishment I'd support, but community service with animals might have been better...

4. FairyHoneyPeaches

FairyHoneyPeaches Occasional commenter

Unbelievable. It makes me so scared for humankind. I actually find it easier to read about stories of humans doing bad things to themselves. So glad to see the dog well again.

needabreak and guinnesspuss like this.
  5. VanEyssen

VanEyssen Established commenter

Dogkind, surely?

6. FairyHoneyPeaches

7. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I would cheerfully volunteer to beat them. In all my teaching career I never so much as used bad language with a child, nor ever wished to use corporal punishment but to do this to an animal takes a particularly disturbed child and one who obviously doesn't understand what pain means. They need to learn that lesson as do the judiciary needs to learn that if people get away with something there is no deterrent to them doing similar things in future. Under no circumstances would I allow them near any animal until there was a certainty they had reformed so animal community service would be a complete NO.
    I would have them placed on a register of "unsuitable person" for quite some time.

guinnesspuss, InkyP, bevdex and 3 others like this.
  8. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Well I was thinking along the lines of cleaning up dog muck, cleaning kennels (empty ones) etc. Not dog walking...

InkyP likes this.
  9. FairyHoneyPeaches

I think so because it won't end with animals. Surely the police should be looking at the parents too.

needabreak, InkyP and sabrinakat like this.
  10. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I agree with you. The article says that the puppy was returned to his owner, so this was not an animal they owned. What's to stop them taking another animal and doing the same again? There has been no punishment here for what sounds like a horrific crime. Imagine if they had done similar to another person... to a child... a puppy isn't a person, but it feels pain just as we do. The poor thing :(

Not sure this is a good idea. They obviously don't see animals as something worthy of respectful treatment, and making them do literally sh*tty jobs, clearing up mess created by animals, isn't likely to make them feel any differently.

midnight_angel likes this.
  11. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Signs of a psychopath, chilling. When I was a child, a group of boys tied up her soft as butter lab and cut his thigh with a tin lid.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

A good point on ownership... didn't occur to me.

All in all a rather weak sentence handed down.

13. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

[​IMG]

I copied and pasted the picture you posted, @Ianokia to keep in my mind the dog's little face when I was trying to type a reply. I'm bereft of 'appropriate' language to use. I hate some human beings. A five-year ban....little t**sers.

vannie, lanokia and midnight_angel like this.
  14. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

My husband and I are devoted to cats, but this story has made me even more determined to try and help animal charities. Poor dog....it is chilling.

15. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

Indeed. When I was sponsored by the Home Office back in the 80's to become a probation officer, my practice teacher, which went along with the theory at LSE said he was surprised I was shocked about a cat skinner who was up in court for cruelty. I had to tell him I disagreed, and that this sort of violence to an animal was frankly a sign of a disturbed mind. He told me I had to distinguish between animals and people. It didn't work for me.

Some people just don't get it.

InkyP and lanokia like this.
  16. midnight_angel

midnight_angel Senior commenter

I have three rescued felines. I accidentally trod on one of their tails the other day (the usual story of "hey, I'm going to try and trip you up until your head falls in my food bowl, to remind you it's empty"). I felt so guilty when the poor thing yelped. I fussed over him for a little bit in sincere apology and guilt (plus, I wanted to see the tail moving to ensure I hadn't really hurt it).

He yelped. My little one clearly felt some sort of pain when I did this (and now I'm feeling guilty all over again, as I type this). However, me quickly removing my foot is nothing compared to what these ******** put that poor little dog through.

Oh the torture he must have gone through, and what was going through his poor little mind!

I just hope that his relationship with his owner doesn't suffer (they seem to be doing their best for him, judging by the second picture), but how could he ever truly trust another human being again?

lanokia and rachelpaula008 like this.
  17. midnight_angel

It's sinking in what these a**eholes have done, and now I'm seriously peed off. I hope the f**kers rot in hell.

18. midnight_angel

Sorry for lots of posts, but just found this on FB. Not sure how effective it will be, but in light of the story from the OP, someone has set up a petition for a form of Animal Cruelty Register in the UK.

As I said, not sure how effective this petition will be, but I really like the idea! https://www.change.org/p/david-cameron-mp-justice-for-chunky

lanokia likes this.
  19. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The solution to this type of behaviour is on it's way. Once Cameron has got Commons agreement to fight IS in Syria, we conscript them, these criminals, parachute them in and let them fight their way out with nothing more than their bare hands and teeth, like the dog had to defend itself. If that don't cure them...

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Image just popped up on my FB with the four lads involved in this...

I won't share it but it names the four of them. The original story said they couldn't be named for legal reasons. But this is what happens I guess if there is weak sentencing, the public 'feel' they have the right to make life more difficult for the offenders.