1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I don't understand ----- Can you help explain, please?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Jun 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

There are some things I just can't get my head around and here are two of them. I think I sort of maybe have some of the answers, but they are very nebulous in my head and I certainly can't put it into words. Can you help explain?

Firstly I don't understand fashion. Not so much our having to preen ourselves in public and stand out visually. I assume that is really about attraction of the opposite sex for our continued procreation. No, -- but how does fashion work? Who sets new fashions? And why/how do they catch on? Looking back over my lifetime, fashion which was attractive at the time now looks absolutely silly. Why? I cite 70's mullets and 60's flared jeans.

Secondly what is art? Not so much about the art itself but the obscene values we put on some of it. I suppose art is art (to coin a phrase) but why do we allow people have more money than sense to hoover it up and hide it away from the rest of us. Presumably the artist had something they wanted to say to as many people as possible, who would listen?

So -- is there anything you don't understand and want help with?

Nanook_rubs_it likes this.
  2. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Fashion is probably quite complex to analyse. Certain things or individual manage to capture the imagination of the public and become famous for a while. The catwalks are showcases for people trying to achieve this.

As for art, well......probably the best suggestion is to watch the Tony Hancock film, "The Rebel" whch tries to find an answer to this. It succeeds in the very last scene.:D

TCSC47 likes this.
  3. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", so is art IMO. Scarcity is the mechanism by which obscene prices are paid. Personally, I see beauty all around me, in people usually ladies but children too, just watching a family having a picnic is a lovely event to observe as is kiddies playing on the beach. Art is what you want it to be I think.

Fashion is about looking good, feeling good and to attract the opposite sex (for hetro's).

TCSC47 likes this.
  4. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I accept what you say, and think that you have stated it well but who actually sets a fashion and why does an old fashion look silly in many cases? What has changed?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    needabreak likes this.
  5. sadscientist

sadscientist Established commenter

I don't think there is any intrinsic value in much of what we call fashion or art.

It just serves as a opportunity for those with wealth to flaunt it. And as wealth equals status, to affirm their status over less worthy individuals.

TCSC47 likes this.
  6. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

That is an interesting question and although I would not want to be identified as out of fashion there is a happy medium.

High fashion would appear to appease the vanities while fleecing your pockets, this does trickle down to the high street (as is intended) to the point where it is affordable for most, just enough for our vanity to be exploited. It's dressed up as individually but is far from it due to mass production ensuring we broadly have the same choices.

It's a business and we are mearly customers who hand over our dosh (sometimes blindy), in order to either fit in or stand out. We are fickle and yet follow like sheep, but it isn't our worse flaw by a long chalk.

TCSC47 likes this.
  7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I think it is people wanting something new, exciting, different. Perception about past fashions? Remember mini skirts? I still enjoy the sight of a lovely pair of legs plus other features;). Italian cut suits, they still look good provided the trousers are parallels.
    The 70's was once described as the decade that fashion forgot. Those awful blocked soles and heels but the midi was nice and I quite liked some of the hippie type gear.
    Who actually sets fashion trends is a difficult question today, going back names like Mary Quant (spelling may be out) were synonymous with the latest fashion.

TCSC47 likes this.
  8. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

It seems to me to be the catwalks that bring fashion into disrepute.Maybe they are trying too hard or it is nothing more than a commercial exercise. Very thin young women is an obvious criticism.

Re Hancock. I will try and find the film. Cheers.

9. sadscientist

sadscientist Established commenter

As Coco Chanel said, "Fashion changes, but style endures". I know people who are very stylish, without spending silly money on the latest fashion. I feel a clip from Ab Fab is needed here!

TCSC47, needabreak and lexus300 like this.
  10. needabreak

I'm sure I read somewhere that the thin young women on the catwalk fulfil a boyish fantasy in the designer that may link to their sexual desires... It sounds a tad Freudian but goes a way to explain why the catwalk is full of androgynous shapes and a womanly figure is rarely seen or admired in that area of high fashion these days.

TCSC47 likes this.
  11. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

The persistence of this particular professional dress fashion in Britain into the twentieth-first century while lawcourts almost everywhere else in the world have moved on to plainer attire is beyond my comprehension:[​IMG]
    Why is the legal profession so determined to keep horse-hair wig makers in business?

grumpydogwoman and lexus300 like this.
  12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Ignorance and stupidity on the part of those who take any notice of it.

Ignorance and stupidity on the part of those who buy any of it.

TCSC47 likes this.
  13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Not to put too fine a point on it;)

nomad likes this.
  14. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

[​IMG]

I always liked this quote about art.

While I'm here though - I don't think your question is about art, more to do with how the elite use it as a status symbol and as you say, hide it away. I doubt any artist started creating something with that as a hoped for outcome. Well, maybe a few. I can actually think of two right now...
    Ho hum.

TCSC47 and Dodros like this.
  15. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Not so sure fashion is to attract a partner....when I was young, it was to fit in with everyone else, not stand out. If you wanted to stand out, you went to the extremes of whatever was the fashion of the year. but no one would be seen dead in last year's clobber, as then you would stand out in a 'wrong' way.

As for art - sorry, but I still can't get my head round a rectangular canvas painted a monochrome shade of blue I saw in the Tate Modern at Liverpool once. Why is that art? I could do that - would anyone pay me thousands and put it on display? Of course not. But apparently I didn't understand the story behind it - that was seemingly what made it 'art'.

guinnesspuss and TCSC47 like this.
  16. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I buy art when I can afford it and I like it enough, and I'm interested in fashion.

*shrug*

guinnesspuss and TCSC47 like this.
  17. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Fashion? It's all to do with lack of confidence, self esteem, needing to belong and attracting a mate.
    Think ripped jeans, blonde/pink hair or studs in noses/lips/genitalia (ouch!).

guinnesspuss likes this.
  18. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

But you didn't. That's the difference between you and an artist.

19. needabreak

Good job we are free to choose and not in a totalitarian regime... thinks of the "Handmaids Tail"... *shudder*.

guinnesspuss and coffeekid like this.
  20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

My life is a failure!

Wahwahwah... :(:(:(:(:(

guinnesspuss, tsarina and Dodros like this.