1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I don't think we're in Kansas anymore...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sel_chick, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Gale force winds here today. Again.
    Wheelie bin has been rescued from the pile of them in the middle of the street, my neighbours roof tiles are playing tiddlywinks in the drive and I no longer have a garden fence (mind you, most of the neighbours don't either!).
    Thank god my neighbour with the delapidated shed had it removed the other week...I think the wind today might have finished it off!
    Defintely a day to be staying inside!

2. Gale force winds here today. Again.
    Wheelie bin has been rescued from the pile of them in the middle of the street, my neighbours roof tiles are playing tiddlywinks in the drive and I no longer have a garden fence (mind you, most of the neighbours don't either!).
    Thank god my neighbour with the delapidated shed had it removed the other week...I think the wind today might have finished it off!
    Defintely a day to be staying inside!

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

It was blowing a gale when I woke up this morning so I stayed in bed with a book for an extra hour or so.
    Now the wind has died down but it is raining steadily. This is really messing with my plans to take the dogs out for a long walk first thing. First thing has been and gone now....

4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Thought about nipping across the road to the baker for a granary loaf.
    Looked out of window.
    Decided to bake a quick loaf of soda bread and have a cuppa instead!

5. We had a similar plan for the dog this morning, but it's still going strong here (with the rain!), and no sign of stopping, so the dog can wait (thankfully, he's not keen on the wind, so is happily curled up on the sofa just now!).
    It's meant to be better this afternoon. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

6. wise choice!
    Last time I looked out of the window, my fence was flapping around...can't bring myself to go and check again :S

7. Very blustery here with horizontal rain. I'm looking out of the window at a large oak that is swaying alarmingly! The branches that is - not the tree. I really would be worried then!

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Awoke to really strong winds, which then slowed and we had absolutely torrential rain, the sort where we stand with the door open looking at it going "oooh". Now both wind and rain have moderated a bit but still heavy for how long it's been going on. Mrs. M. volunteered to go out and buy milk and had some wind induced steering difficulties.
    Currently enjoying being snug and warm indoors while the rain occasionally lashes the windows.
    I had intended to fire up the bbq, but may resort to the oven instead.

9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Blustery but brightening up in nw.

10. Terrifying where we are. Next doors roof tiles are deeply imbedded in the grass of their front garden. Our shed has swivelled 90 degrees and is only prevented from tipping over by the fence getting in its way. There's a long, flapping cable at the exit to our back garden - I have no idea if it's live or not. :-/
    The Forth Road Bridge is closed (as are all bridges in the area)
    And someone posted this online this morning, which would be funny if it wasn't so dangerous:

Scary wheelie bin

11. seren_dipity

seren_dipity New commenter

While it's still pretty grim outside it's nothing compared to how it was between 4 and 6 this morning - it sounded like the end of the world outside. Next door's chimney pots are in our back garden, broken into several bits and embedded in the soggy lawn. A neighbouring street is closed so I assume that there's a tree (or trees) down. My bird table has been blown over and its slate roof is broken.
    Mum is on the east coast where it seems to be at its worst now - I worry about her because she has trouble staying upright when it's windy and has needed help home a couple of times because she couldn't stand.

12. Oh no. Mr Airy is supposed to be driving back from Edinburgh today...

13. She should be safely indoors, though, right? I've been so glad it's not snowed so badly this year but I'm not sure I like all these gales much better.

14. seren_dipity

Aye, she should be but she recently took on a wee dog whose owner was terminally ill (just what mum needed - she's had 5 hip replacements, is blind in one eye and losing the sight in the other!!!) and has to take it out (though I'm sure it would stay in if she didn't drag it out).
    She refuses to use a stick (says that once you've used one you need one - brilliant logic) and has fallen a couple of times in snowy conditions. In recent high winds she's had real trouble walking through it - had to wait for a near neighbour to spot her to get her across a nearby road to get home.

15. In high wind my dog hides behind me, does his business right outside the front door and then drags me back indoors. I can't say I complain. I can't get Mr Airy on the phone now which likely means he's travelling - every time I look at the travel news there's another road closed due to fallen power cables, collapsing roofs and falling trees.

16. seren_dipity

I'm sure he'll be fine but it doesn't stop the worrying!

17. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

It appeared to have calmed down here so the dogs and I have been out for an hour or so.
    It was a bit scary when it started to rain and the wind started up while we were in the forest but it didn't last long. The wine is still blowing a bit but it's looking pretty bright here now.

18. seren_dipity

I know what I'd tell them to do with their outdoor broadcasts if I were a reporter - just watching reporters standing outside to report on the weather...let people look out their windows! Bampots. "The advice is to stay indoors" says the reporter being blown to *** on the Welsh beach.

19. catmother

catmother Star commenter

My last remaining fence panel has now gone! This was a new one which was replacing one which broke 3 weeks ago. Last weeks we lost the two other older ones and now the new one is gone!
    My husband has given up on trying to do anything about it for now.
    More worrying is when the cat has to go out and she's blown from one end of the garden to another. Thankfully she doesn't go far and she's back within minutes (seconds?).

20. The wine is still blowing a bit but it's looking pretty bright here now.
    Now if only the wine were flowing instead of blowing, it would look brighter still! [​IMG]