1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I don't think we are doing enough literacy and Numeracy

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by katiejane1, Feb 2, 2012.

1. katiejane1

katiejane1 New commenter

It was purely a question Inky.
    I only annotate 1 piece of lit and num per week per child- UNLESS- something significant happens in another group session and then I would annotate that also. I suppose it depends how much you write in your annotation and what your schools expectations are doesn't it.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Is that the same as marking or are you writing an "observation" on the child's work?

3. Msz - do pom bears and fruit shoots mean anything to you? :D I'm sure I recognise your posting name... If you're who i think you are, you'll totally understand my references to anther forum! If not, please just ignore this post, you'll probably think I am crazy!!

4. Msz

erm ...[​IMG] sorry

5. Not to worry! There is someone with a very similar post name to yours on a different forum and I thought it
    Might have been you!

6. katiejane1

katiejane1 New commenter

It's not really an obeservation or marking- its more an analysis, kind of unpicking what they have done, processes they have gone through and what they are doing next.
    I date and walt wilf all their recorded work, and tick off against the wilf- if I annotated/analysed every piece of work it took me hours every night.
    I find the analysis really useful- cause I then know what I'm looking for evidence for in their CI play- I can look for the things I know are inbedded but need evidence for- or provide opportunities to kind of force it out of them.
    The rest of the marking is purely to keep SLT happy really, and to prove I have actually looked at what they have done.

7. Msz

Does your school insist you use Walt and Wilf in EYs? [​IMG]

8. Is that twice a week in CLL and MD, so 4 sessions for each group? If it is I don't know how you do it and take my hat off to you! I just about get through 1 for each and even then not every week. We have to listen to individual readers twice a week and those that don't read at home we try to listen to everyday. It takes us a day to get through them all once. We also do guided reading for two groups.

9. I do 2 inputs a week on MD and 2 on CLL and every group will work with an adult once during the week on an MD activity and once on a CLL. We also do guided or individual readers each week (I normally alternate) and a daily whole class phonic session.

10. Msz

We do a daily input in both PSRN and CLLD

11. I do a daily maths and phonics session in the morning and in the afternoon do an input on one of the other areas. This will always include 'speaking and listening' so class them all as CLL as well.

12. katiejane1

katiejane1 New commenter

yes they do, so I do it. Sometimes it is easier just to go along with some of the things they ask for, rather than argue with people who have never worked in EYs and whose only experience of it is their own childrenn being at school. I tend to find if I jump through the right hoops in terms of whole school stuff, they tend to leave me alone to do as I think best in other areas.

And yes every child works with me (or sometimes TA if I am observing) 2 times a week in CLL and MD. I also hear every child read once a week (although my MA now do a proper guided reading session in a group) children who are not regularly reading at home also read with a TA twice and with our aviva reader once a week.
    Maybe this is why I am greying prematurely?