1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I don't think teaching is for me anymore.

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by lgxlam1, Dec 6, 2015.

1. lgxlam1

lgxlam1 New commenter

Hi there,

I got as far as my PGCE interviews and now I have changed my mind. Since September I have been ill with one thing after another and it has really knocked my confidence - picked up at school where I have been.I have read and heard so much about so many negative things that I don't want to do it anymore. I have been a TA for the last year and I know the good stuff but the bad stuff seems to be outweighing that. In order to try and help make a positive difference to children's lives.....I have had that same 'vision', that same dream that probably just about every teacher has had, but I am starting to think that is just a pipe dream......it's just not reality these days.....in exchange for having a stab at trying to achieve that 'vision' it seems that I would need to be prepared to:

1. Pay £9000 from my own pocket - as I have already got a Masters no student loan.
    2. Live on fresh air as the government have this year reduced bursaries to £3000.
    3. Go through a training course that makes incredibly high demands on people such that many fall ill with stress, give up or end up having a breakdown if not during the PGCE, before the end of the NQT year....why be so hard on people?
    4. After all of that it doesn't get any better.....with inspections, unnecessary heavy admin in addition to the lesson planning, 60 hour weeks, which added to the general day to day grind of managing mixed ability classes, differentiating, managing challenging children and difficult parents is starting to sound like a nightmare of a career. Seeing people leaving in droves does not make people feel confident about going into it.
    5.To top it off, I am aware that training providers seem to ask for such an incredible amount from people before accepting people on courses to train. I honestly think that expecting someone to teach a 2 hour lesson before they are trained is ridiculous - so what exactly is the training for if people are practically expected to be a teacher before they start training?
    6. Add to this the bug issue - the bugs that seem to be rife in school from September onwards.....
    It really doesn't encourage people to want to join the profession. Ultimately I was prepared to do it until I fell ill.....that makes the rest look a hundred times harder than it is.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I think you've answered your own question don't you ?

3. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I don't know if this is a diatribe or a question. If it is the latter, then as @peakster suggests, you have answered your own haven't you?

4. m4thsdotcom

m4thsdotcom Occasional commenter

I think that you could find a list equally as long for many jobs you may apply for outside of education.
    One advantage (and it is a huge one) of teaching is that very few careers will ever provide the buzz you get when you know you have made something make sense to a pupil.
    I appreciate that many view the profession in a less favourable light these days but I still wouldn't do anything else and am so pleased I went through the ITT process.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I would advise not making a decision until you are fully fit. This is a big decision to make and you need to make sure it is not coloured by your physical condition.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

This is a general hazard of being around children - it is not unique to teachers. One benefit of being in teaching is that, after a few years, you will have gained immunity to many bugs :)

Lara mfl 05 and sabrinakat like this.
  7. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Was about to make the same point as above. Loved most of my teaching career, but wouldn't do it again with the present conditions.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

Could you not do a salaried course?

9. RootNegative1

RootNegative1 New commenter

Hello. Can you clarify this? I am in the process of applying for ITT, and my advisor had said that for my subject (maths), i would be looking at a £25k bursary, where did this £3k figure come from? Thankyou

10. Findlotte

Different courses, different bursaries.
    Don't worry, you'll be fine on your 25k tax free sum :)

11. RootNegative1

Ah thanks for the clarity. With my half of a mortgage to keep paying, its going to be a lean time as it is

12. Findlotte

Lol try not to shout that about too much. There are plenty people, like myself, who are doing a tuition fee pgce with no bursary or annual income and still paying bills/mortgages. I'd love 25k for free.

13. RootNegative1

Fair enough, thanks. That's grim, I just couldn't do it, even if I wanted to.

14. teachingspurs

teachingspurs New commenter

Haha, yes. I am going from a sales job where I earned a large amount of money, into primary teaching, where I get a 3k bursary. Luckily, my wife-to-be has a well paid job and is willing to support me for a year!

15. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

£25k tax free and then a starting salary of what..?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

21K, I think?

17. teachingspurs

teachingspurs New commenter

22k and 25k if in London?

18. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

super-ego in the sixth lecture?

19. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

With a 25k bursary you may well be receiving a not dissimilar 'salary' to that of your ITT mentor. Which could makes the mentor/mentee relationship interesting.