1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

‘I don’t see lines of teachers queuing up to take on headship, and I can understand why’

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 29, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It tends to be the far-too-young who mostly want to do it these days, mostly (if not entirely) because they think there's something marvellous about them if they get a headship in their 20s or very early 30s. That they will never last the job out until they can retire has never occurred to them.

Most teachers are turned off by the job because they know that heads are one bad inspection, one bad incident or one bad judgment away from the sack.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I agree with what this chap says. His comments about the "managerialism" of governments is spot on.

4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

As a union rep I occasionally have to see my HT struggle to apply the judgement of Solomon and on each occasion think any pay or qudos can't be worth the effort. Then again I looked at my HoD 25 years ago and thought "I can't be bothered with the graft that he has to put in, so no promotion for me" so perhaps I'm not the best placed to comment.

5. R13

R13 Occasional commenter

What I think is most telling is that whilst I know teachers who want to be Heads one day the people who I know who are often very clear they don't want that role are Deputies . . .the people who best understand it.

On a good day I'm still very pleased I'm a Head and never wish I had stayed a teacher . . . but the proportion of good days isn't as good as it used to be

6. casperyc

casperyc New commenter

I want to take on more responsibility but I am still on training for QTS .:(