1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

i don't read.....

Discussion in 'Book club' started by kangaroo.poop, Jan 6, 2011.

1. but i would desperatly like to. it would really past the time while i am off sick.
    i just find that i don't have the attention span for it.
    i'm looking for a suggestion for something really attention grabbing?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Poor thing, Kangaroo, no more jumping around for you!
    [​IMG]

Now you have said elsewhere that you like gardening, and active lifestyle choices: walking, sport, etc.
    Since these are about as far removed as possible from the things I like doing (sitting on the sofa, looking out of the window at somebody else doing the gardening, eating chocolate, etc.), I'm not the one to give you any advice here.
    So my choice of books might not suit you either.
    But I bet that there's someone here who can think of something that will grab your attention and take your mind off those horrid metal screws and pins in your leg.
    Best wishes!

I shall be contributing to the Seminars on Saturday 8th January. TheoGriff Job Seminar
    Look forward to seeing you!

3. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Over Christmas I couldn't put down 'The Fingersmith.' Found it quite gripping. Really enjoyed 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' this summer. Tricky to recommend for another person, though. I know you don't read, but do you have TV interests that could help us suggest ideas? In the mood for serious, gripping adventure, slushy romance, frivolous romance,respected literary feat . . ?

4. Streetcleaner

Streetcleaner New commenter

Try Jon Krakauer's two nonfiction books 'Into the Wild' and 'Into Thin Air'. They're exciting page-turners which don't require much of an attention span.

I became a bibliophile through being grounded by parents a lot as a teen, and having nothing in my bedroom but books and a stereo. It was mostly true crime and biographies of explorers that got me hooked, novels came later. But that's just my taste. If someone had given me novels straight away then I doubt I would've developed the same reading habits.

5. Try kids' books. On the whole they are specifically designed for readers of short attention span, full of action, and, the good ones at elast, are very well written. I've just finished Septimus & The minster Ghost, and started Bottersnikes and Gumbles - both from my childhood and both much loved.

6. 'Under the Skin' by Michel Faber compelled me to finish it in one sitting - such an original plot, and a real page turner. Seriously - I barely moved that day (apart from getting coffee, food, etc)

7. camis

camis New commenter

Ooh, have that on my shelf waiting to be read...maybe need to move it up the pile a bit!