1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I don't quite understand this...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bethannie, May 5, 2012.

1. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

A bundle of assorted flyers was pushed through the letterbox along with my mail this morning. There was the usual - a couple of menus from local fast-food places - an invitation to some 'event' at the nearby bedding store...and an envelope from Cancer Support.
    The Cancer Support envelope included numbers for a 'Monthly Prize Draw'. There are prizes worth £7,500. All I have to do is send a donation to the charity and my numbers will be entered in the draw.
    Now if the draw is monthly, that's 12 a year (hey they don't just give maths degrees away!) so 12 * 7,500 = £90000.
    Wouldn't that money be better spent on something like....Cancer Support? If I was to send in a tenner, will that money go towards Cancer Research or will it go towards paying for next month's draw prizes?
    Do they really get enough new donations to justify this sort of campaign?
    Then again - is it any different (other than being on a larger scale) than the raffle draws I remember where the prizes were book tokens or boxes of chocolates?
    (I'm just a little unsure as to how I would feel about money I donated to the charity being used for this....as it happens, i won;t be donating to this charity - mainly because I have a couple of charities I support and funds don;t allow me to support others!)

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

A bundle of assorted flyers was pushed through the letterbox along with my mail this morning. There was the usual - a couple of menus from local fast-food places - an invitation to some 'event' at the nearby bedding store...and an envelope from Cancer Support.
    The Cancer Support envelope included numbers for a 'Monthly Prize Draw'. There are prizes worth £7,500. All I have to do is send a donation to the charity and my numbers will be entered in the draw.
    Now if the draw is monthly, that's 12 a year (hey they don't just give maths degrees away!) so 12 * 7,500 = £90000.
    Wouldn't that money be better spent on something like....Cancer Support? If I was to send in a tenner, will that money go towards Cancer Research or will it go towards paying for next month's draw prizes?
    Do they really get enough new donations to justify this sort of campaign?
    Then again - is it any different (other than being on a larger scale) than the raffle draws I remember where the prizes were book tokens or boxes of chocolates?
    (I'm just a little unsure as to how I would feel about money I donated to the charity being used for this....as it happens, i won;t be donating to this charity - mainly because I have a couple of charities I support and funds don;t allow me to support others!)

3. Return the envelope with a note that explains your deep misgivings.
    I had a similar envelope a while ago and that is what I did. I was a tad intemperate but felt it needed saying. I also found out that a colleague had done the same thing!

4. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I had a similar objection to a prize draw held by the Red Cross. A leaflet came through the door all about how I could get a new kitchen or a new car if I won the prize.
    I was so annoyed about it I emailed them. They told me the prize comes out of the money that people send to take part in the draw and that it doesn't come from donations.
    I think it is in very bad taste and have not supported them since.

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

On the form I am asked to send with any money, it states: ....'my donation'...with space for me to fill in an amount.
    It does not state ' my financial contribution towards the prize draw'.
    I think I might just have to write them a snitty note!

6. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Years ago I used to contribute to an environmental charity. Each year they rung up to see if I would join up again and I usually agreed I would. Then one day an hour after the phone call I got another to ask me whether the first phonecaller had been curtious and clear. They finished by asking if I would be contributing again, to which I replied that I had been about to but now that I knew my money would be wasted on phonecalls checking up on their staff and volunteers, i would be taking my money elsewhere!
    I hate it when charities also send pens, cards etc asking for a donation. The red cross are bad for this. How many actually contribute and how much is wasted on the pens etc.

7. Charities don't use ineffective methods. It's the same as the scandal about "chuggers" being paid £10 an hour or more - if it didn't bring in more than was spent (or more than is donated when charities don't campaign) then they wouldn't do it.

8. My husband was persuaded to make a monthly contribution to Oxfam by somebody who accosted him in the street. He signed up but subsequently found out that the first 12 contributions were paid to the 'volunteer' who persuaded him to sign up. He wasn't pleased.

9. As it is not a cash prize but rather "Prizes worth £7500" could it be that those prizes are actually prize donations given by companies etc?

10. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

1st Prize £5100 holiday or £5000 cash (you can choose)
    2nd Prize £1000 cash
    3rd Prize £500 Cash
    4th Prize £20 M&S Voucher (25 prizes)
    So, assuming the main winner chose cash (I know I would!) then the prizes are mostly cash prizes.

11. I saw something on facebook yesterday which suggested that Cancer Research are never likely to find a cure as it's not financially viable to do so - much more viable to keep taking donations. Made me think.

12. that sounds extremely urban legendy - facebook is hardly the bmj.
    you may need to think, or at least research, a little harder

13. Perhaps. But it was put much more succinctly than I said it. I'd copy it but because I am using google chrome it won't let me.

14. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Cancer Research and Red Cross are very laudable in their aims.
    I think the prizes come out of the money sent in as part of the prize draw activity, not from general donations, but I still think it's the wrong thing to do.
    They are mistaken in appealing to the greed of contributors in this way. Those who give to charity do so to support the organisation, not to win something.