1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I don't know what to do...

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by PersianCatLady, Sep 5, 2019.

1. PersianCatLady

PersianCatLady Occasional commenter

After fretting about not having an NQT job at the end of the summer term, I signed up with an agency after seeing a vacancy advertised with a local school.

On the first day of the summer holidays I met with a member of SLT and they said that I could start in September and I was booked with the agency up until October half-term.

I have never been so happy and I have spent the summer preparing resources and brushing up on my knowledge.

I turned up to the school on an INSET day this week and after sitting through three hours of training I was told that my services were no longer required.

I am utterly distraught. I don't know what to do. I have been looking forward to starting my NQT job all summer and now I am utterly lost.

Any ideas?

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

That's happened to me too.

There's not a lot you can do - another assignment will be just around the corner I'm sure.

All those cats aren't all yours are they ?

3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Oh no, I'm so sorry.

Make sure they pay you for that day. Unless you signed a contract there's nothing else you can do about that job though.

Keep looking for jobs. You probably won't find much day-to-day supply until people have been back at school for a while, but maternity jobs and long-term sick jobs can crop up at any point. I completed my NQT doing a maternity cover, and it was great.

The next deadline for resignations is October half-term, so after that more vacancies will probably be advertised. Keep your eye on TES jobs and your local council website, and the websites of any schools you like the look of. Your classmates from the PGCE could tell you about vacancies in their departments too.

Can your PGCE provider help out with job applications and interview skills? Contact them and ask.

Good luck!