1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I don't know what to do

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by SexyMouse, Nov 15, 2011.

1. SexyMouse

SexyMouse New commenter

I didn't want to read and run. The jobs market for teachers and for any job at the moment really, is dire. Have you considered doing voluntary work in a school, or doing supply teaching? This is a good way to get your face out there and get your foot in the door early if any jobs happen to come up. I completed my NQT year at two schools - 2 terms maternity cover, and then a temporary year long contract. It took me a year in between the first 2 terms to find a job to complete my NQT year in, so it wasn't ideal, but I did supply in between which helped for keeping my classroom knowledge etc up-to-date. You may also find that heads may be willing to write a reference referring directly to their experience of you as a teacher rather than as a student teacher then, which may help. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

2. Thank you. I am doing supply as well, but I missgetting to know my classes.

3. You need to tackle the third head on and sayhow this can help you - e.g. if you found learning a struglle ten years ago say that now, as a more mature learner you understand the problems children have with learning. If you gained M level creditsin your PGCE then say so and talkj about how you are now, with maturity, able to appreciatre working at a higher level (masters) and that you would like to continue and gain a masters at a later date - having completed inductio. Hiding the outcome of your degree will not work, making it work for you by saying how you nhave changed after your degree may well be the best bet for you.
    James