1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I don't know what to do for the best

Discussion in 'Personal' started by fretless, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Pleased to read that you have found a solution that works for everyone. What wonderful neighbours - there really are some amazing people out there.

2. OMG!!!!!
    Have just had conversation with beastly sister who is irate that I am not going to be with dad over Christmas: "it's your duty, you are the eldest" and "what will people think?"
    Neighbours are obviously trying to worm their way into his good books and the will. I kid you not, that is what she said. I did point out that he is alive and kicking therefore talk of a will was a little premature but she couldn't see that some people do things because they are good people not because they expect something in return.
    I too wish for houses to fall on her after that.
    Actually, I'm laughing about it - what else can you do......

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Me too.
    I am wishing for fabulous things for your Dad's neighbours in 2011 though. What lovely people.

4. Silly moo! I don't know how she dare make any comment! You'd think she'd start feeling guilty, maybe she is? But you're right, your Dad will have a much better Christmas at neighbours than at your sister's, now you can enjoy yours.
    I was staggered this week by 2 contrasting neighbours of my mum who is in her eighties but very independent and hates feeling she's not coping - she told me she went out to try to sweep some snow from her drive ...neighbour next door came out , said good morning and drove off...neighbour across road saw her outside and went out of his way to go out and cleared all her drive and put soem grit on it!

5. anon468

anon468 New commenter

FGS!!!
    Cosmos, are you me in a parallel universe? Your sister sounds like the carbon copy of mine!
    Just ignore the silly woman. She is clearly someone who judges the motivation of others by her own warped standards. Without a doubt, the best thing to do is laugh at her foolishness. I do that now, although I also have a boxer's punch bag & gloves in the garage (thanks, Mr M!) for when it all gets too much. [​IMG]

6. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

"Friends (and neighbours!) are the family you choose for yourself" - dunno who said it originally, but it certainly applies here [​IMG]

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Maybe something nice for their garden.

8. What a dilemma cosmos. You sister sounds the pits! What a cold heart she has.
    Your Dad's neighbours sound lovely. I hope he has a good time there. Ring them every day to check all is well...and speak to your Dad? I hope he understands. I am sure it will be fine.

9. Sister is a strange creature - I feel quite sorry for her in spite of the fact that she "has it all" -
    Anyway, no matter. I shall be going to collect my father from hospital this morning which is brilliant and get him settled in. We will open a bottle of something bubbly and celebrate with neighbours.
    Now all I have to worry about is whether Heathrow is open for flights tomorrow and again on the 28th to get back up.
    Merry Christmas to all of you - I hope it is everything you hope for.
    C x

10. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

Oh dear Cosmos, my family situation sounds quite similar to yours.
    My gran is in her late 80s and is bedridden and doesn't eat properly. She has Chrohn's disease and smokes a lot.
    My mother lives in the next street and barely visits her. She also lies about how much care she gives. I am so embarrassed by her lack of effort and her excuses for not doing things. The bad weather has meant she says she cannot visit due to the snow!
    Her two sisters live in Aberdeen and Stonehaven and have to drive or get the bus out to Banchory to see her. I think my gran is going to be on her own for Christmas, which I find very sad. Both my sisters live in Banchory but they work while my mother does not.
    I cannot visit or help as I live abroad, it makes me feel very sad.
    As to restaurants, I think the Lairhillock near Stonehaven is very good. Busy even on weekdays and my sister tells me the food is great.
    You are so lucky to have such great neighbours for your dad. Bless them!

11. Cosmos you sound like a loving daughter (and mother). You very clearly cared about sorting your dad out before leaving him to go to your own family. As for your sister well, she will reap what she sows.
    His neighbours sounds lovely and I am sure he will be happy there, knowing he is wanted rather than going to your sisters where he will not be.

12. I've got my daddy home!
    We got back to neighbours' granny flat to find a fire lit, a baby Christmas tree and a pot of broth on the go.
    I cried, dad cried and lady neighbour cried! Then we opened bottle of bubbly, 2 really, and are all now slightly merry. I think a lie down might be in order.
    I am hoping neighbours will adopt me now!

13. Oh how lovely

14. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

So nice to hear of such kindness.

15. Bloody hell, I'm blubbing now.
    What fantastic people.

16. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I think I love your dad's neighbours!
    What a lovely story.
    *sniff*