1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I don't know what to advise him

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by exhausted48, May 1, 2020.

1. exhausted48

exhausted48 New commenter

Hi Everyone
    Not sure if this is the right section to post this but here goes. I guess I'm looking for someone out there to play devil's advocate or just offer some solid advice.
    We are in the midst of this terrible epidemic. Meanwhile my son who was due to sit his A Levels this year is attempting to plan his future. He is a bright lad;very creative and predicted to gain A* in Fine art, A in Geography and a B / C in Biology. He is very keen on television and film production and has been accepted for uni for several related courses. The problem is that this industry is already very competitive and I expect it will be decimated by the consequences of this pandemic.
    He's enthusiastic and has even been writing small scripts during lock down.
    I guess his dad and I would be happier if he did a broader degree. We feel like he's placing all his eggs in one basket. At the same time we don't want to crush his dreams. I know that kids have to make their own choices but I don't like to think of him embarking on an expensive higher Ed. Journey which might have limited job choices. Added to this although he's quietly confident he's quite a shy lad. I don't know what to say to him. Any advice welcome. Thanks

2. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Occasional commenter

He needs a YouTube channel and to be producing his own things in his spare time. It'll either be successful or (more realisticaly) form a portfolio he can use in applications/interviews or even show him that it isn't for him.

I wanted to go into something creative (Video Game Design) but instead of making games as a hobby I was playing them. Looking back I missed out on a boom in people making their own independent games when the internet went mainstream, people who did that got jobs for big companies or released those games on smartphones.

So the question is, does he want to make TV/Movies or does he just enjoy watching them? If he wants to make them then he needs to make them as a hobby ASAP.

phlogiston likes this.
  3. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

I don't know how things will work out for him, or what to suggest, but don't crush his dreams.

If this crisis has taught us anything it should be that life is unpredictable and you should follow your dreams while you can. The very best of luck to him.

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I think that the "eggs in one basket" thing comes at the end of the course. Most uni courses give a broad education, I would guess that if you had completed a course in film production, you could project manage other things. However, if your son will then only apply for jobs in film production and would rather be penniless and unemployed rather than giving up the dream, then he's perhaps done the wrong university course.

5. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Stop helicoptering, let him follow his dreams and make his own mistakes.

6. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Absolutely let him do a degree he enjoys. University should be one of the best times of his life. Why would you put a damper on that. And the more he enjoys it, the better he will do, and in the end, its the lass of degree that opens up opportunities, as much as the subject.

In any case, it isn't your choice, its his

agathamorse likes this.
  7. exhausted48

exhausted48 New commenter

Corvuscorax your reply has just pricked some tears in my eyes because in my heart that is exactly how I feel. Yes he should go and do what he wants. Life is too short to compromise. My hubbie on the other hand is more of a traditionalist. I can see his point of view. He wants the best for his lad as I do. It does cause some tension when we talk about it. He has even mentioned accountancy at one point which made my heart sink. Thankfully I think I've persuaded him that this isn't a good idea. Thankyou for all your advice

8. BoldAsBrass

BoldAsBrass Occasional commenter

My cousin ended a film and production degree last year in Liverpool. He's now a very successful freelancer, out earning me as a UP3 teacher. He's worked on some big budget productions including the Star War franchise.

I taught him when he was six years old (large age gap) and i couldn't be prouder. I remember having a talk during parents evening with my Aunty and Uncle concerned that he was struggling to read and write..... How time can change a pathway!

He'll be fine, let him find his own way would be my advise. I wish him lots of luck

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Let him choose his own pathway. If he is writing scripts, and they are any good, then it is possible he goes in to script writing in the end...very lucrative and without any hint of fame and hassle from the media.

Accountancy is far more 'egg in one basket' than film and TV production!

agathamorse likes this.