1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I don't know much about babies!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by chicabonita, Mar 2, 2011.

1. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Delighted to finally have LO here, but would appreciate hearing what routines, if any, babies tend to have. Ours is 3 weeks and doesn't really have a predictable routine in terms of naps, feeds and so on. Does that matter?

2. chicabonita

Delighted to finally have LO here, but would appreciate hearing what routines, if any, babies tend to have. Ours is 3 weeks and doesn't really have a predictable routine in terms of naps, feeds and so on. Does that matter?

3. goonergirl2009

goonergirl2009 New commenter

We didn't have a routine at all at 3 weeks! Our bedtime routine fell into place at 9 weeks because Charlotte simultaneously began to like her bath and sleep through the night! We were not too worried about implementing a set routine- ours just seemed to happen. At 3 weeks we put Charlotte in her cot bed in her own room (as she would not tolerate her Moses basket at all) and I think she was waking three or four times a night. She slept in the day when/ if she wanted to and fed most of the time! Although we now have a bedtime routine, that is about all we do have in place! Generally Charlotte wakes up at 8ish, has a nap in the morning, a nap in the afternoon and then goes to bed at 8ish after a bath, massage and cuddle with Daddy! Until 17 weeks I exclusively breastfed on demand but she was so hungry that I introduced some formula too and now she tends to have three bottles, three breastfeeds and some baby rice in the morning. I really would not worry about routines at the moment as you will probably end up following your LO's lead anyway!
    x

4. goonergirl2009

goonergirl2009 New commenter

Oh, and congratulations!
    x

5. chicabonita

thank you :)

6. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Congrats fellow Chica! I remember you posting when you were overdue. Did you have a boy or a girl?
    Mine is 20 months now so 3 weeks old seems a lifetime ago, but we didn't get him into a routine for ages. He kind of got himself into a bit of a sleep pattern when he was about 6 weeks old, and fed regularly throughout the day, but we didn't attempt a proper routine for a while.
    I'm expecting my 2nd in 8.5 weeks, and i think this time we might attempt a routine a bit earlier, just to fit in with our eldest really. Just things like having a bath at a set time, then a story together etc.

7. Ditto!
    Our routine evolved (and is still evolving!) as babies tend to have their own ideas about routines! I would say that initially a night time routine is most important (and easier to keep consistent as you go to more and more things during the day). It'll come - enjoy the tinyness of newborns - it goes in a flash!
    PS. It doesn't matter if you don't know about babies in general, because you'll always be the expert on your baby, no matter what x

8. After reading Gina Ford during pregnancy, I had a strict routine planned out in my head. It took 4 days to realise that was never going to work.

At 3 weeks old, our routine was- get up in the morning and go to bed at night. She fed all the time- pretty much hourly- cluster fed all evening and we took her up to bed with us when we went to bed. When she stopped cluster feeding she started a proper bed time routine but this is fairly relaxed.

Learn to relax and trust yourself a little- just because the books are obsessed with routine, does not mean all other mums are doing this! At 3 weeks old it is just about getting some (any) sleep, feeding the baby - you can not spoil a newborn- so whatever it takes to survive! I found Scarlett settled herself down into a vague routine at around 8 weeks and we followed her routine rather than forcing her routine on us.

She hardly slept at night- that was the first thing we had to overcome!

9. DilysPrice

DilysPrice New commenter

Excellent advice!
    Congratulations by the way.

10. like lots of others have said - noooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    relax, don't worry about it and enjoy your LO.
    x

11. chicabonita

many thanks!
    chica- a little girl :)

12. Congratulations on your little girl chicabonita.
    Good luck with everything.
    I find routines are useful aspirational goals at times. But in general I don't get much further thant trying to sleep when baby sleeps at 3 weeks.

xxx

13. Hello, Congrats!!
    Umm I didn't have a clue about babies before I had him. But I did read Gina Ford before and then every day for a while. Her routines really really helped me.
    From day one out of the hospital I tried to put my baby to bed at 7pm, It didn't work that well at first!!. It was just a case of when he woke up trying to stick to her routines but being a bit more fluid and going with it too. I did find out that as each day went by he sort of followed the times she said and I by 3.5 weeks my baby was going to bed at 7pm, waking at 10pm and then waking at 3am nd then sleeping through to 7am ish. Then at 7.5 weeks the magic happend and he dropped the 3am feed himself.He is 7MO now and I can count on one hand the times when he has woken up in the night since 7.5 weeks. He does have very set naps in the day at 9am, 12pm and 4pm and gets grumpy if he doesn't sleep at that time.
    Having a routine for me has been brilliant. Having my baby go to bed at 7pm meant that I spend the evening with my partner/doing stuff like read/exercise. It also meant I have always slept!! Plus my baby just laughs and rarely cries. Gina Fords stuff really comes down to anticipating the babies needs for sleep and food before they get fractious its not about leaving your child to cry as so many people misunderstand it.

14. Congrats chica! 3 weeks is v early to expect much more than eat and sleep! I read The Baby Whisperer books and found it fit most closely with what we wanted to do. We follow her EASY routine (not by the clock, but generally make sure that she Eats when she wakes up, has some Activity time and then Sleeps (theoretically leaving time for You!)). I wouldn't worry too much at this stage though!

15. Here here! It's nice to hear about someone openly admitting to following Gina Ford. I did and it worked soooo well for us I could kiss the woman. My LO has also slept through the night from 7 til 7 like yours from 3 months old (with the dreamfeed of course! - til 6 months) and is also an extremely happy baby (and very well rested too!). It annoys me when people associate her only with controlled crying. I think she mentions it once in her book & I've never had to do it with my LO as, like you say, they don't need to cry as you anticipate feeds & sleeps in advance. I can't recommend it enough. However, I must admit that in the VERY early days I found it frustrating as newborns do need to feed & sleep to their own schedule but it's great for gently guiding a baby at a few weeks old into a routine. Oh and I also loved The Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg.