1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I don't have a QTS yet but I'm certain I will in June, what should I put for an application abroad?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by tezelasenapgce, Feb 11, 2020.

1. tezelasenapgce

tezelasenapgce New commenter

Hey,

Sorry if this is an obvious question but I'm applying for jobs abroad and on the quick apply application section some schools are asking if I have a QTS.

I am currently doing my PGCE and in my second term. Although I'm certain I will pass and get the QTS mid-June, technically I don't have it yet so do I just leave it as no? This is what I was initially planning to do.

I'm just worried that this will put off employers and will void many of my applications. At the end of my supporting statement, I mentioned that I am doing a PGCE so hopefully they will understand

What should I do? Any tips?

2. clovispoint

clovispoint Occasional commenter

I'd mention optimism in the application. :)

Just be honest- you don't have it yet.

tezelasenapgce likes this.
  3. tezelasenapgce

tezelasenapgce New commenter

Thank you very much, yes I submitted as no but good point that in my supporting statement I should sound optimistic about getting the QTS this June :)

Thank you again!

4. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

List it on your cv as “Anticipated June 2020”.
    We see it all the time for qualifications that are in process.

5. PuertaDelVino

PuertaDelVino New commenter

Do schools abroad actually check if someone has QTS then? How can they know?

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I have sent you one of those TES Conversation things, tezelsenapgce.

7. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

yes, you have to hand over your qualifications, and they actual check your references MT

8. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Maybe in the "rose tinted" lenses that dumbbells wears this would be the case. In the real word over half the schools will only check your pulse and if you can stand up straight.

1. Does the applicant have a pulse?
    2. Is the applicant not qualified, or only partly qualified?
    3. Is the applicant young and have no experience?
    4. Does the applicant have the correct skin colour?(Check Photo on CV)
    5. Is the applicant single?
    6. Will the applicant share accommodation?
    7. Will the applicant accept a low salary?
    8. Does the applicant want health insurance?
    9. Does the applicant want a flight home every year?
    10. Has the applicant a subscription to the ISR?

there are many schools tezelasenapgce that will employ you with your attitude and level of qualification, but I am sure you would not want to work for them!

9. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Im surprised you havent blamed this on iPGCE teachers or rent a name schools?
    Perhaps if you had taken some interest in your IB training you wouldnt be so bitter or stuck splashing around at the shallow end of the international pool. Come up to the nice end, there is plenty of space and lots and lots of nice schools ;)

Not that i should need to point this out, but i was answering Musikteech in his post, not the OP.

10. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I am thankful flto dumbbells for reminding me to mention that the OP will be competing with the glut of PGCEi unqualified teachers for the shallow end of the international schools employment.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020 at 10:32 AM