1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I dont have a clear dbs check

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by NatNat77, Aug 5, 2019.

1. NatNat77

NatNat77 New commenter

I am seriously considering applying for a pgce in primary school education. I meet all of the academic qualifications, I am a good parent and have been told I would be a good teacher. I have experience in sports coaching and I am a former psychologist.
    The stumbling block is that I don't have a clear dbs check. 19 years ago I was involved in an abusive relationship and unknown to me they were taking things from work (we worked together) and they were using my id. I have a conviction for theft which will show on their checks. I have an 8 year old enhanced crb check and it's there. On the form it is split into theft and theft of employer even though it's for the same incident, as I am unable to check myself I an unable to obtain a more current version.
    It has taken me years to rebuild my life and at the grand old age of 42 I think im finally brave enough to try and follow my dream.

I have contacted my local university and it appears I have a chance of being accepted onto a course but it's difficult to determine if they are just stating policy about the rehabilitation of offenders of if this is the reality.
    Is this likely to only ever be a dream or do have a chance or obtaining employment?
    Please be honest but dont crucify me for naivity of nearly 20 years ago.

2. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

It is not uncommon for trainees to have spent convictions on their records. Fights, thefts, fraud etc., are all things I’ve seen come back. What happens is a fitness to practice panel reviews your spent conviction and considers whether it is a bar to working with children. In most cases, these are old convictions and not relevant.
    However, for the rest of your teaching life, when you go for a job you will have to tell each new employer who will make their own decision. It’s a pain, but not a barrier.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. NatNat77

NatNat77 New commenter

Thank you for your reply. Do you ever know if they ever gain employment or are they always destined to be bottom of the pile?

4. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

Sorry to hear about your situation, but there is hope!

A list of offences that are never filtered from DBS Enhanced checks can be found here: https://assets.publishing.service.g...offences_that_will_never_be_filtered_PDF_.pdf

You will want to check that first.

You will then want to check the following guidelines to gain an idea if the conviction will or will not be filtered (i.e. not appear on the form):

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dbs-filtering-guidance/dbs-filtering-guide

At the bottom of the second link, you will find links to groups that support people with convictions.

Good luck and all the best.

5. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

Something simple and clear:

For those 18 or over at the time of the offence
    An adult conviction will be removed from a DBS certificate if:

• 11 years have elapsed since the date of conviction; and
    • it is the person’s only offence, and
    • it did not result in a custodial sentence
    Even then, it will only be removed if it does not appear on the list of offences which will never be filtered from a certificate. If a person has more than one offence, then details of all their convictions will always be included.

An adult caution will be removed after 6 years have elapsed since the date of the caution – and if it does not appear on the list of offences relevant to safeguarding.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...s-for-dbs-certificates-criminal-record-checks