1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I dont have a clear dbs check

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by NatNat77, Aug 5, 2019.

1. NatNat77

NatNat77 New commenter

I am seriously considering applying for a pgce in primary school education. I meet all of the academic qualifications, I am a good parent and have been told I would be a good teacher. I have experience in sports coaching and I am a former psychologist.
    The stumbling block is that I don't have a clear dbs check. 19 years ago I was involved in an abusive relationship and unknown to me they were taking things from work (we worked together) and they were using my id. I have a conviction for theft which will show on their checks. I have an 8 year old enhanced crb check and it's there. On the form it is split into theft and theft of employer even though it's for the same incident, as I am unable to check myself I an unable to obtain a more current version.
    It has taken me years to rebuild my life and at the grand old age of 42 I think im finally brave enough to try and follow my dream.

I have contacted my local university and it appears I have a chance of being accepted onto a course but it's difficult to determine if they are just stating policy about the rehabilitation of offenders of if this is the reality.
    Is this likely to only ever be a dream or do have a chance or obtaining employment?
    Please be honest but dont crucify me for naivity of nearly 20 years ago.

2. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

It is not uncommon for trainees to have spent convictions on their records. Fights, thefts, fraud etc., are all things I’ve seen come back. What happens is a fitness to practice panel reviews your spent conviction and considers whether it is a bar to working with children. In most cases, these are old convictions and not relevant.
    However, for the rest of your teaching life, when you go for a job you will have to tell each new employer who will make their own decision. It’s a pain, but not a barrier.

Stiltskin and agathamorse like this.
  3. NatNat77

NatNat77 New commenter

Thank you for your reply. Do you ever know if they ever gain employment or are they always destined to be bottom of the pile?

4. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

Sorry to hear about your situation, but there is hope!

A list of offences that are never filtered from DBS Enhanced checks can be found here: https://assets.publishing.service.g...offences_that_will_never_be_filtered_PDF_.pdf

You will want to check that first.

You will then want to check the following guidelines to gain an idea if the conviction will or will not be filtered (i.e. not appear on the form):

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dbs-filtering-guidance/dbs-filtering-guide

At the bottom of the second link, you will find links to groups that support people with convictions.

Good luck and all the best.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

Something simple and clear:

For those 18 or over at the time of the offence
    An adult conviction will be removed from a DBS certificate if:

• 11 years have elapsed since the date of conviction; and
    • it is the person’s only offence, and
    • it did not result in a custodial sentence
    Even then, it will only be removed if it does not appear on the list of offences which will never be filtered from a certificate. If a person has more than one offence, then details of all their convictions will always be included.

An adult caution will be removed after 6 years have elapsed since the date of the caution – and if it does not appear on the list of offences relevant to safeguarding.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...s-for-dbs-certificates-criminal-record-checks

6. MagnusCrome

MagnusCrome New commenter

Hey Fella,

I got a police caution for affray about ten years ago. Difficult divorce and basically I lost it and made out I was going to go round and, ahem, harm the builder working on our home extension and carrying on a liaison with my soon-to-be ex-wife. All I did was drive around in the car then come home, but got arrested, chucked in the cells and ended up signing this caution. I was pretty highly regarded at the school (had just been a bit of a hero during Ofsted) and the Head backed me to the hilt during the mandatory investigation by the as-was General Teaching Council. Verdict: no further action required.

This comes up on DBS checks and you have to declare it to the Headteacher when you go for interviews. Since then I have secured two further jobs at different schools and it didn't really seem to be in issue to the Head at all - they were more interested in the fact that I was a good teacher, convincing at interview and willing to take the job. I have only had one teaching interview I didn't get - no way of knowing if it was a factor or not. I have now left teaching and have had a very lucky break in freelance journalism. I sometimes do supply back at the original school, where there is a new Head who is also aware of the incident and is not even faintly interested. Obviously I had built up a professional reputation prior to this happening, but really don't think schools see it as much of an issue - especially as it happened so long ago.

So I don't think you need to worry too much. Just be upfront about it, discreetly ask to speak to the Head as soon as you go into a new school and say what you've said here. I would try and speak to the Head, where you can (not always easy as a trainee), as Heads are normally pretty good at confidentiality, whereas gossip sometimes leaks in middle management. But if you are being inducted by, say, a second in department, maybe phone and ask to have a quick word with the Head to explain ahead of them doing a DBS - then the department will never need to know. Bear in mind also that schools are not always overwhelmed with choice of candidates for posts, even if they did have reservations. But I really don't think most will have. Good luck with it, anyway.

Magnus.

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The rules changed as @sabram86 has posted in May 2013 so what was on a CRB/DBS Disclosure 8 years ago won't necessarily be there now. If your offence falls within the filtering guidelines you wouldn't have to disclose it if asked about convictions on the application form either (as explained on the government guidance linked above). Before 2013 everything was disclosed, however old or minor. Since 2013 old and/or minor offences are disregarded and treated as 'spent'.

My only reservation is that you describe it being listed twice on the CRB, which suggests you were convicted of two separate offences. In which case they will still appear on the DBS and need to be disclosed. Perhaps better to err on the side of caution and disclose?

But don't despair, having an offence of theft nearly 20 years ago isn't automatically going to debar you from teaching. Lots of teachers have had convictions and are still teaching. If I were the interviewer and you explained these circumstances to me I probably wouldn't be concerned. But I can't speak for all intervieweers of course. Some might take a strict 'no-one with a conviction' position but most won't.

8. rolls

rolls Occasional commenter

Once you are accepted on to a course the quality of your teaching is likely to have more impact on your career chances than what it says on your DBS.