1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I don't hate teaching, but........

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by TEA2111, Oct 8, 2015.

1. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

I am trying to decide whether to resign at the end of the month. I am at a good school, like my class, have a good working relationship with my colleagues, head teacher likes me, and most of the time enjoy teaching. Except for Sunday nights and the occasional time during the week, I don't dread going to work. But I DO HATE the feeling of being constantly watched: book scrutinise, learning walks, lesson observation, lesson plan scrutinise, parents, drop-ins, and so on. I HATE the long hours which in reality means that I am on about £8.00/hour. I hate how I have to get under achieving children to make progress when most of the time their parents won't do their bit at home and expect it all to come from the school. I hate a system which in reality does not cater for the special educational needs of some learners despite the differentiation and other support systems I try put in place, so making my job challenging and just about impossible. I hate how I am expected to teach a new scheme without any training, the attitude being 'here is the manual, get on with it.' I hate having to take holidays during school holiday time. I hate that my last and first thought everyday, is of school. I don't know my own mind: do I want to leave or not? Obviously no one can answer for me, but how do other teachers feel?

2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

And this is exactly why I left teaching.

3. Bajan-night

Bajan-night Occasional commenter

I could have written this! Feel for you.

4. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I think most people think like you do some of the time at least. There is not a great deal wrong with what you are saying but....

The reality is that most people are not being paid for 13 weeks' holiday though either..... Don't fall into the trap of thinking that everyone else does set hours and that is it. My partner is a social worker and often works over hours and is unable to take their TOIL. A good friend of mine works in the commerical world, and while he earns a good salary he can be called upon to work very long hours for no extra pay.... The grass isn't always greener. Depends what you make of it....

sabrinakat, stmha and TEA2111 like this.
  5. cat2611

cat2611 Occasional commenter

I love teaching but I am still going to resign tomorrow. I don't love the silly parents, incompetent leaders, lack of resources and constant scrutiny. The leadership team at my school have just decided that all teachers must submit all planning every Friday. Teaching is not about teaching anymore, it is about keeping the leaders happy and jumping through silly hoops.

Are you single or married? Do you need to think of your partner and your children? My husband is sick of me moaning about school morning, noon and night and although I haven't got children I've seen the effect that the massive workload can have on teachers who are also parents.

How long have you felt like this? Could you resign in February and give your head lots of time to replace you for the new academic year or can you not bear another 10 months of it?

6. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

I'd love to know how many have resigned this term. If this forum is an indication then it's rather a lot!

The OP has said it all.

You're better off out of it. Enjoy your last few weeks of teaching and ignore the scrutineers!

solvacrime, mark6243 and TEA2111 like this.
  7. TEA2111

Thank you for your reply. And I agree, but there is a but....
    I thought that teachers were only paid contact time, so are not getting paid for holidays? My son is 28. His starting salary was £32 000 (2 years ago) AND he walks out the door at 4.30 everyday, leaving his job behind him. My husband earns 3x more than me, and is home at 5.30 everyday without another thought of work. Why does it seem that it is not possible for teachers to get a reasonable work/life balance? 90% of the time, I am at school before and after my head teacher and we know what they earn...if I was earning 10k more, it might seem worth while.

8. TEA2111

Hi cat2611. Couldn't agree more that the job is "about keeping the leaders happy..." But don't forget to include the parents and the children too. I fail to get that after four years of training and graduating , teachers are not trusted to do the job, and not treated like professionals. Why is it that Ofsted are not interested in seeing planning, but schools are ? Am I thick? I don't get it...wish I did.
    Children grownup, need to earn, but am not the primary breadwinner so can take a pay cut.
    Good luck for tomorrow; it's not an easy decision especially when one is' comfortable and familiar' where you are.

9. cat2611

I think the incompetent managers have a lot to do with us being able to get a work life balance. They have either forgotten what a class teacher's workload is like or they don't care about our work life balance.

solvacrime, DYNAMO67 and TEA2111 like this.
  10. cat2611

The AH told the teachers at my school that we must hand in all of our planning every Friday. This is a step too far.

I had already decided that this would be my last academic year as a class teacher but tonight I decided that I will resign tomorrow rather than waiting until summer. My husband is pleased with my decision as we will now get to spend full weekends together. Until now I had been working one day per weekend.

As an aside I find that if I challenge the immense workload, inefficient systems or pointless tasks I am judged to be rude and uncooperative.

TEA2111 likes this.
  11. Compassman

Teachers work/life balance is getting worse as more and more work is piled on. Teachers need to remember that their pay has not gone up in the last 5 years so why are they putting in more. The idea of work is that you do some work and you get paid for it. If you do more work you get paid more. Of course in teaching then the old emotional blackmail comes into play 'what about the children?'

Oh and now we have some teachers thinking it is OK to have to do loads of extra hours because they get 13 weeks holiday a year. Of course this is because the media have tried to make some teachers feel guilty about their long holidays but again they're getting you to do more work for no extra pay.

solvacrime and mark6243 like this.
  12. TEA2111

[
    Do you have a plan of action? If I am going to leave, I too want to do it by December so that I don't have reports to do. I just feel bad for leaving my class mid year.

13. Compassman

You are emotionally blackmailing yourself there. The kids won't care after a few weeks.

I will miss many of the classes I teach (I haven't told them yet that I'm going) but at the end of the day you have to look after number 1.

14. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I agree with the last bit. From this I can infer that your husband has a very highly paid job. If you are full time then around 90k per year. Don't take offense, but is his salary a perk of his lofty status and further evidence of our unequal society. Out of interest is your son in the same industry?

15. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I am not saying that. Just when making a like for like comparison with other jobs you have to consider it

16. johnberyl

johnberyl Occasional commenter

Teachers do not have paid holidays as such - their salary is paid over 12 months which is not the same thing.

17. cat2611

I am going to hand in my notice tomorrow. I have composed a brief but polite letter.

I wanted to wait until summer because getting paid for one last August and finishing the year at the same time as the children would be nice but I can't bear it any longer. I haven't actually got a contract of employment so I was tempted to just work until the end of the half term. I have decided to stay until Christmas so that I can get my Christmas holiday pay and so that the head will still feel in a good mood when he writes my reference.

I am going to sign up with a couple of supply agencies then I will decide if I will just do supply for the next 40 years or if I will get a non-teaching job. I have been browsing the universal job match website. There are a lot of minimum wage jobs out there that don't interest me but I might be able to find a good non-teaching role. I thought that I would enjoy working for a charity or I'd like a job where I could teach but not in a school, maybe I can get a job in a museum. I've also thought about becoming a recruitment consultant or an estate agent. I considered becoming a private tutor but someone on here pointed out that obviously that would involve working during the evenings and weekends which I'm not keen on.

stmha likes this.
  18. Compassman

Actually it wasn't you that I was necessarily referencing here DYNAMO67 but quite a few teachers on here have mentioned the 'pay off' of the long holidays.

I'm about to cut by holiday entitlement by at least half but why do I feel more freedom?

Oh and another thing. With all these teachers leaving; what are they going to replace them with?

DYNAMO67, monicabilongame and TEA2111 like this.
  19. cat2611

I agree that it is a shame that the kids will be sad and it will take their new teacher a while to assess them and to build up a rapport with them. However as compass man said the kids will be fine in a few weeks. Ultimately my husband, my dog and myself are my top three priorities. I am sacrificing a few weeks of the children's education to save myself.

I can't continue to work with the leadership team. Submitting my planning every Friday is going to add unnecessary pressure, likewise leadership directives such as only allowing one child to go to the toilet at once (due to vandalism) when there are over 200 children at my school are driving me round the twist. If I continue teaching until summer I'll either be a miserable old grump or I'll be totally crazy and I'll be no use to the kids anyway.

TEA2111 and Compassman like this.
  20. TEA2111

NO cat2611, son is an electronic engineer, hubby in sales (and btw, salary not as high as that...wishful though)