1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I don't feel trusted :(

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by cat_fanatic, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Hi all. I have been told by my SENCO that our planners must not be taken home because they contain information about students. ( I am a TA. ) I understand that but my argument is that I always want to start the new week prepared and not be drowning in admin. I like to research, plan and take stock of what has happened the previous week-I normally spend about 2 hours on a sunday doing this. It's all the stuff that I never have enough time to do in the week. My 'prep' time is constantly being eaten up with meaningless data-entry type tasks that in my opinion have no direct benefit to the children I am trying to support. Anyhow-back to my main gripe. I hate the fact that it is automatically assumed that I will somehow 'lose' my planner or mistakenly allow a strange person access to this information. I look after my planner and keep it safe. I have online access to the exact same information on our school's network drives so if i'm using that at home, how is it any different to taking my planner home with me? oh, because it's paperwork and the network is password protected so it's fine. My point is- where is the trust here? Is it wrong for me to want to go the extra mile and want to use my own time in order to do my absolute best? If I wanted to print data from the school network, at home, how could I possibly be prevented from doing so? No one is going to follow me home to make sure I don't! I am so upset and feel like I am being treated like a potential risk to the school! All I've ever cared about is the children, and lets face it-is there anyone employed in a school that DOESN'T take paperwork home??

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Photocopy the blank planning sheets from your planner & take them home, leaving the planner at school. Do your planning on the sheets, and on Monday stick the sheet into your planner...Would that work?

3. Possibly. Or I will just have to use a personal diary, copy my lesson notes into that and take that home instead. The whole thing is silly though. It just creates more work!

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I understand your frustration… and indeed when it comes to the heightened issue of information being taken home/ accessed at home by those working in schools, there are indeed more holes than a colander.

I don't think this is about the school not trusting you - I think it's more about them trying to safeguard themselves in a very general way. I would try and see this as a sensible and protective move on the schools part. Indeed, no one will be 'checking' you don't take anything home… but at the same time consider what the outcome might be *if* SEN, personal note information of students *was* lost or fell into the hands of someone less discerning than yourself…

Counter to this we so often hear from staff almost forced to work at home… and seemingly your school do not want you to, which in terms of work life balance is a positive.

5. This is true. What's underneath it it all is actually a chronic lack of prep time-if there was enough of it, I wouldn't even need to take work home. :( Every single colleague I speak to says there just isn't enough time. Period!

6. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

So many problems at schools seem to be created by poor management and communication, people who are great educators may not be great workforce managers and it shows. Im sure this is nothing personal just advice given by the Local Authority or written into a risk assessment, which unfortunately has been passed down with minimum detail. I work in the support element of childrens services and we have recently been advised that we must lock all paperwork up at the end of the day, we are in a secure office and we can access info at home. Rather than differentiate between paperwork which may or may not contain personal information we simply put it in a tray in a filling cabinet and lock it up each night. Im far more comfortable with the security of my paperwork than I amwith the LA computer system. Its just the rules, theyre not written for individuals, dont sweat it.

7. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

I would query this with one of the senior leaders in the school rather than the SENCo, I would be very surprised if this was a school policy....

8. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I can see where the school is coming from in terms of data protection. However, a system where you can't take your planners home because it contains pupil information? (Whatever next, a ban on taking books home to mark because, heaven forbid, if they went missing there are pupils names on it? No marking out of school then :) )

The obvious solution to me would be to leave any confidential/ sensitive information on the school's intranet for access when necessary and not written down on a planner (assuming that would work or would it be for an LSA a bit like a musician going into a concert without their music?)

9. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

And cat-fantastic- please don't take it personally. See it as a bit like the law to wear seatbelts in case we crash our car. It does not assume we are bad drivers, it just protects SHOULD the worse happen. In the same way, you may feel YOU would not lose a planner but a whole school full of LSAs (or teachers) over many years and multiplied by the number of schools and the law of averages means a misplacement of data becomes statistically inevitable.

10. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

If the school doesn't want planners to be taken home, then presumably they'd not allow anyone to access any information from home? And they'd provide staff with suitable time during the day to plan....

11. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Should a TA need to plan at home? They are not paid as teachers.

12. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Perhaps the SENCO should be invited to cite policy. Maybe teachers should use the same policy to justify not taking pupils' work home.

It's not about trust. That concept disappeared decades ago. It's now about monitoring and control. Lenin would have approved.