1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I don't feel supported

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Iastbury, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Iastbury

Iastbury New commenter

Alright so I left a good school to move to another good school but in a better area. What I was not expecting was to work in a department where every man/women is on his own. I've been struggling to understand how things are run and I'm finding myself jumping through hoops and trying to survive the day without being told of because I didn't do something or because I didn't do it correctly. I talked to my HOD and because she has been promoted to SLT she clearly doesn't care and said to me that I didn't ask questions during my first term that's why I'm struggling. But I don't know what I don't know until someone tells me that I've done it wrong! (if that makes sense)
    I feel like putting my notice in and look for other schools.

But the problem is what reasons shall I give to the Head when I put my notice in?

Any advice is welcome.

2. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

You don't need to give a reason when you resign: you simply resign from the position you hold.

Is there no one in the department you can chum-up with? I've seen the way some of these smug folks operate-I know how things should be done but I won't tell you 'till you fall on your face!! Lovely!! :mad:

3. Iastbury

Iastbury New commenter

I am very good friend with the second but even she forgets to tell me things and she's my line manager! I'm really struggling and I consider myself a strong teacher and a very organised person but Man! I feel like punching a wall and screaming Please help me here!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

What sort of things are you doing wrong? What sort of things are you not being told about? If you were a NQT, what would you need to know?

Start thinking now:

• Is there a staff handbook? Either on line or a copy in a file in the staffroom that you can take home.
    • Is there a Department handbook?
    • Is there a list of policies (eg marking policy)?
    • Is there a list of important dates?

Ask to borrow the 2i/c 's diary to check what she is planning if there is nothing else. Every Friday, last thing, ask her what she's thinking about next week.

And, no, you don't give a reason for resigning - although any school where you apply after only a very short time in a school may wonder why.

How to resign - get that resignation letter right!

Best wishes

5. Iastbury

Iastbury New commenter

they send emails about what we need to do like 2 days in advance and I teach a whole time table meaning that I don't have much free time. I got told of because I didn't set cover work correctly and I've been told that I need to take charge of Spanish until they find a new HOD but that I won't get paid for this as it would be good for my curriculum! I mean they want me to work for free..... no tlr nothing. When challenged the hod denied everything but eventually admitted that she asked me to take charge of Spanish. That's why I don't feel supported, I mean I just started to work here and I want to pack my bags and leave...