1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I do not want to go back tomorrow...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by wiemaranerlover, Feb 19, 2012.

1. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

I'm everyone else is feeling likewise.
    Last half term was the most stressful in ten years of teaching, and I can't face more of the same. I cannot wave a magic wand but wish I could. Nor do I want to have to listen to the DH telling me how to turn the D grades into Cs, when he doesn't teach the subject, dressed up as "what support can senior management give you?" having already been told that unless we do manage to pull the rabbit out if the hat, "there will be job losses."

Sorry, I needed to get that off my chest. Feel free to tell me I'm being daft.

2. MrsArmitage

MrsArmitage Occasional commenter

Oh you are so very far from daft! I am dreading going back for pretty much the same reasons. I've sat through the job losses pep talk so often now that I have to sit on my hands to stop myself from putting my hand up and shouting 'me! ME! Pick me please! And the whole Ds into Cs yadda yadda from people with no clue about your subject. We do the best we can. I think so many of us are undermined by colleagues banging their own drum about how amazing they are, and doing the whole 'Stakhanov' thing, that the rest of us are made to feel inadequate for actually doing pretty darn well.

Try turning the whole DH thing on its head and asking him/her - 'well, what support do you think you can offer?' (Maybe they'd like to come and show you how it's done [​IMG])

3. Spent a blissful first weekend reminding myself I didn't have to go in on Monday.
    The week itself, though nice, went at a blistering pace.
    And last night (Saturday) kept waking from getting-to-school dreams trying to remind myself I'd got one more day.
    Spent most of today trying to catch up on all the stuff I was going to get done in plenty of time in the week.
    No, I don't want to go back either, but for much more rubbish reasons.

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Same here. The week has gone too quickly and I just don't feel as if I have had time to recharge.
    It's not the work pressure - my letter of resignation is in my bag ready to be handed in tomorrow morning. I have a new job to go to in September. That feels like a long time away at the moment though!

5. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

[​IMG]

6. And what's worse than going back to teach tomorrow? Going back to SLT banging on for the whole day about how c r a p we all are, and how we only need to follow their latest paper creating sh1te strategy. And to be told that we all need to be considering our positions very carefully as there will be job cuts...

7. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I resigned as well - have a new job to go to at Easter.
    I'm still really nervous though, mainly because I've been off ill following the lead up to and an operation. I feel physically absolutely amazing but I can't believe how anxious I am: knees shaking, hands trembling!
    It isn't even the children, it's just the first time I've seen the HT and others for weeks and in that time I got my new job and am really scared!

8. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I haven't told anyone this yet (well, my family, but no-one at work etc) but I've been planning my exit from teaching for the past couple of weeks. I'm looking into setting up a business of my own. It may not come into fruition THIS year, but even just the thought of not having to teach anymore makes me feel happy.
    It's not the kids I'm hating. I enjoy being in the classroom. I'm tired of the politics, the bitchery, the back-stabbing, the staffroom hierarchy and constantly feeling like I'm about to be told off for doing something wrong.
    I may not leave for good. I may quickly discover the grass isn't always greener. But I know that I want to try anyway, because I can't spend the next 30 years dreading Sunday nights and feeling practically suicidal (joke) at the end of every half term. I want to enjoy what I do, and I largely don't at the moment.

9. I work in a boarding school and the kids are coming back TONIGHT! So I have been feeling the dread all last night and all of today!

10. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Oh exciting, do you know what line of work you'd be doing?
    I sometimes toy with the idea of leaving teaching behind but I don't think I ever will. I think it really is just a question of finding the right school and feeling happy and comfortable there.
    I have thought about childminding/fostering if I ever have children of my own, though. I'm not sure I'd be as happy work-wise if I had to balance it with a young family.

11. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I'd be more keen to go back if I felt better[​IMG] My voice has gone, my throat is sore; I feel generally wiped out. I thought I'd be able to recharge my batteries last week too...boo hoo.

12. Looby_Lou14

Looby_Lou14 New commenter

ooooh I like this one....

13. All three of my children have gone down with a sickness bug today, so I get another day off. Just hope I don't catch their germs...

14. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Oh, I feel your pain, Yogs. Happy cleaning.[​IMG]

15. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

You must work in my school

16. whapbapboogy

whapbapboogy New commenter

Isn't it striking how we are always being told how we must be ultra-polite and considerate to the kids and build uop their self-esteem and praise them/empower them, whilst a lot of the time teachers feel like we are s**t or are not built up at all or are indeed being told we're not good enough?

17. whapbapboogy

whapbapboogy New commenter

To top it all, I've had a bust-up with hubby and am not sure how to make it up to him before tm! [​IMG]

18. I don't work in teaching, but this describes the environment I work in pretty much exactly!
    I toyed with the idea of starting my own business last year, but wendied out and stuck with the regular wage & PAYE. I think you're incredibly brave and I wish you all the very best with your new venture.

19. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Oh heck. Hope you've sorted it out.
    Had a couple of difficult days last week and was so glad my husband was in cheerful mode ( not always a given). He really helped.

20. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Thank you, Manashee. At the moment, it's little more than a brilliant idea. However, I have no experience in running a business and am currently wading through internet pages about what to do in what order. I just know that I'll be happier when I don't have to worry about being told off and that I'm doing something wrong all the time. I've got a lesson observation tomorrow and whilst I know I'm doing a good job, as usual, I just hate the fear that someone's going to come along and tell me I'm ****. I want to work for myself.